• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle egg adventure

Alright, thats nice of him, i have 3 cuttles, one was trying to get out of its egg two nights ago, it popped half way through but saw today that it couldnt make it out, i still have 3 eggs left that i have seen cuttles in but havent seen them moved or really looked, ill wait a few more days before i open them up with something. Dont have too much hope for those. At least you still have cuttles, better than sitting with none. Sorry to hear your abyssmal 2/17 ratio =/

Ya, so I'll be ordering some more cuttle eggs on Tuesday. The cuttles are rather calm today. I haven't seen them go crazy once. I expect them to, though, when they lights go off to night. So hopefully I'll be able to get a video then.

Im not sure if this is clear enough to see (thanks to low quality iPad camera), but here is the video. You should really be able to see him going "crazy" at the 1 minute mark, but even then, it is supressed and not nearly as crazy as usual. If you guys have problems seeing the video, let me know. I might be able to find a better camera if needed.

EDIT: Video should be fixed now.

The videos don't play well (perhaps at all) on a PC when the address is for the mobile version :wink:. I am not sure what happens when viewing the site via phone. I modified the video for PC viewing, hopefully the result is what you wanted, otherwise, repost the mobile link.

DWhatley;191097 said:
The videos don't play well (perhaps at all) on a PC when the address is for the mobile version :wink:. I am not sure what happens when viewing the site via phone. I modified the video for PC viewing, hopefully the result is what you wanted, otherwise, repost the mobile link.

Can you see it better after you modified it? What do you think of the "going crazy"? I should probably fetch my actual camera to get a decent video...

I could not get it to run at all on the PC with IE9 (I did not try the other browsers) but it runs fine without the mobile link. I could not see anything until you moved the camera to shoot through the net and then I could see the activity. It is different from what I saw with the octopuses. They stayed at the bottom of the net/tank and moved in tight circles. I saw this behavior once with a senescent male and assumed heart failure on one of the brachial hearts (they have two gill hearts and one central heart). This was a laymans assumption as half his body was paralyzed. I don't know if the hatchling had a similar problem.

I am not well versed in cuttle behavior and I hope Thales will look in (you might PM him) but it looks like he is eating or trying to eat something very tiny.

You know, I just went back and looked at some of the older post, including the video I posted of the cuttle inside the egg. The spinning behavior that the unhatched cuttle pruduced, is the same "crazy" behavior that the hatchlings are producing now. Odd..I wonder if the is pertinent information.
Also, I have noticed that hatchling 2, the one that goes crazy the most, has a dark spot about half the size of a grain of rice , on the underside of its mantle, behind where the funnel/siphon should be. I'm not sure if this is relevant either, but thought i would include it.

I got another video. Hopefully this one will be better. At some parts during the video, you can actually see the dark spot I was talking about in my other post. Once again, another iPhone video, so sorry about the quality.

cuttlegirl;191126 said:
Watched your video. Can the cuttle get to the bottom of the net? Where does it spend most of its time (the bottom or floating on the top)?
Most of the time, it is at the bottom, resting (sleeping?) on the bottom of the net breeder. But whenever it starts acting crazy, it stays at the top. Also, recently, both of them have been going to the top of the water right after "lights out", but then settle back at the bottom within an hour. I know that most of the time when cuttlefish float towards the top of the water, it's a sign of starvation. But there are 4 mysid in the net breeder with them (as there has been for several days).

Today I decided to clean the net breeder. I carefully took both of the cuttles out and they are now in little shot glasses. After they were in the shot glasses for about 15 minutes, I put one mysid in each glass. Hatchling 2 struck at the same non-moving mysid shrimp twice in a row, and missed both times by about half a centimeter. Hatchling 3 struck once, missed, and gave up for now.

Is there a lot of flow near the net breeder? It does appear that the little guy is having some buoyancy issues. I would try again to feed them in a small container, since they both appear hungry (:roll: well, cuttles are always hungry...).

There is minimal flow where the net breeder is. There is some, but very little.
I just released them back into the net breeder about 15 minutes ago. After the previously reported feeding attempts, they just sat in the container without any interest in the mysid. So I put them back in the net breeder. There is one mysid in the net breeder with them, I plan on adding one or two more in about half an hour.
Should I wait a few hours before removing them from the net breeder again?

Alright sounds good. Tomorrow then.
Every now and then, for several days now, they will show interest in the mysid and shoot their feeder tentacles out, but they always miss and then give up for several hours.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back