• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle egg adventure

DeepBlueWonders;191173 said:
I did not try that, but I wish I did.
Would adding activated carbon to the cuttle tank be helpful?

It depends on what is wrong. Get some more info before you start throwing stuff at it. :biggrin2:

DeepBlueWonders;191176 said:
I have a freshwater test kit that test for ammonia and nitrites. Will this work for saltwater?
Otherwise, I dont think I'll be able to get to the fish store till tomorrow....

Not sure. Look up the kit online and see what it says.

DeepBlueWonders;191178 said:
Ok. Will do.
How do you feel about adding liverock to the cuttle tank? That should help with the nitrate and nitrite and well "everything" problem, shouldnt it?

It could also add to the problem via any detritus/algae/animals on or in the rock breaking down. With ammonia/nitrite/nitrate issues you really want to be testing before acting.

Can you mix up some new saltwater to do a water change?

What are the readings on your 44 gallon? How long has the 44 gallon been set up? If the readings are better on your 44, I would drip acclimatize them in the 44 gallon and try and reduce the light to combat the slime problem. At this point, you are trying to save the cuttlefish, don't worry about the slime.

I'm about to leave for class so no time for testing. I should be home in about 5 hours though.
There is no more slime in the 44, but there is a curious inhabitant. I have a porcupine puffer in there now...he's been known to nip at the net breeder when there is something inside...Also, there is no skimmer on the 44, and I'm running it without any mechanical filtration, just a load live rock.
I'm doing a 60% water change as we speak. I have a bucket-full being put into the cuttle tank by drip acclimation method, so to slowing change the parameters back to where they need to be.

DeepBlueWonders;191186 said:
I'm about to leave for class so no time for testing. I should be home in about 5 hours though.
There is no more slime in the 44, but there is a curious inhabitant. I have a porcupine puffer in there now...he's been known to nip at the net breeder when there is something inside...Also, there is no skimmer on the 44, and I'm running it without any mechanical filtration, just a load live rock.
I'm doing a 60% water change as we speak. I have a bucket-full being put into the cuttle tank by drip acclimation method, so to slowing change the parameters back to where they need to be.

How do you know you are changing the parameters if you aren't or havent tested them?

Thanks cuttlegirl, i was only trying to see them eat by taking them out since i really dont know who is eating and who is not, as well as me wanting to move them to a net breeder, since i have themn in an in tank refugium and just concerned about water flow in and out and dont want this aerator in there as to not stress them out. But i wont touch them again, they are doing fine in where they are and im happy that way.

Btw on the unhatched eggs, they all have deflated and are cloudy, so looks like out of the 12-15 eggs i am left with 3 cuttles and i couldnt be happier.

I wish you the best deepblue.

DeepBlueWonders;191194 said:
I just tested the nitrates and phosphates and alkalinity this morning...so I know they are high. That's why I conducted the water change.

What water are you using to do the waterchange?

After the water change, these are the new parameters:
Nitrates - 5ppm
Nitrites - 1.0ppm
Ammonia - 0ppm
Phosphates - 5ppm
Alkalinity - 250.6ppm
Salinity - 34

It's odd that alkalinity actually increased...

You need to do another water change. Is there anyway you can set up the protein skimmer on the 44 gallon (if the parameters are good on the 44 gallon) and transfer the cuttles? How long has the 44 gallon been set up?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back