Cuttle egg adventure

Reaction score
That video is great at least you know you have a live one! Any of the ones i can see in the egg i dont see move at all so idk about them, maybe theyre almost grown but not alive anymore? do you always see yours move in the egg or do they usually look like dead cuttles? lol Looking just now at 2 of them didnt leave me too optimistic about their survival or health =/

Reaction score
Oh dont be worried! Today was the first time I saw any movement! As long as the cuttles are attached to their yolk, you're good. I don't think they start moving until the majority of their yolk is gone. And I think the only reason mine moved is because I pissed it off with the light lol. Ya the movement surprised me. I was just taking a peek at the progress of the eggs and one moved; it really took me by surprise so I quickly grabbed my phone and started recording.

Reaction score
lol awesome, yeah i saw one move because i kinda poked it with a small droplet... but lol yeah.. i needed to reassure myself i was a little upset because ive had this happen before i see cuttles in eggs and a few days later its nothing pieces of what used to be a cuttle. The worst thing i had to do was open 5 cuttle eggs and all was left were 2 whole dead cuttles and 1 that had nothing in it and 2 had cuttle pieces in it =/ so i get scared. Its hard to see a lot of my eggs without moving them around a bit because of their position and what theyre attached to =/ Ill settle for just seeing one though. Ill try and get a video if i see anything cool as well.

Reaction score
Ya be careful though. I've already had one cuttle die inside the egg this batch (which I blame my curiosity and poking around too much with the eggs). Once you get the eggs where you want them, DO NOT TOUCH/MOVE THEM.

Reaction score
Yeah that stinks to have ond die to your own curiosity, i wont touch em again, i just gave it a little poke and it moved. I dont even like putting the flashlight on them too much bc of stress.

Hopefully tomorrow brings one of us a hatchling!

Reaction score
Ya me too! Im afraid to look at them too much with the flashlight. It looks like I might have a hatch today or tomorrow because one of the cuttles has no yoke left and is kind of floating/swimming around in the egg.

Reaction score
I see more cuttles in more eggs tonight, idk if it was because i changed my angle of flashlight-> eye but i dont really see movement but i see more cuttles in the eggs than i did yesterday. Not 100% if the ink depletes over time as it gets closer to hatch but, if i remember correctly in my past experiences an egg looked like it was going to burst before they hatched and was more clear than it was the days before it. If i had a better flashlight and camera available a picture would be worthy but since i dont and i dont it is not. Hope deepblue had some luck or notable progress today since i feel like we are keeping a shared journal! Probably didnt post after morning because he didnt leave his tank-side watching his new little cuttle (i hope!) lol

Reaction score
Haha. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your journal.
What I recently learned is that try shining the light through the bottom of the egg going up (if that is possible for you). I have a bare bottom nursery so it worked for me. I got much better looks at the cuttles that way.
And you are correct :heee: my first cuttle hatched this morning. Just a wee little thing!
It's kind of funny, because one of the eggs yesterday was leaking/oozing out clear gel from the inside of the egg. I thought the egg was going through a "self-abortion" process, but I could still see the cuttle inside. As it turns out, I woke up this morning to find a baby cuttle, hatched from the "aborting" egg, and the egg is now almost fully deflated.
The cuttle looks great, I'll be sure to post pics in a little while, if you want.

Reaction score
Well, the joy ceases. After a few hours, I found my new cuttle lifeless. I immediately did water test, only to find my alkalinity through the roof. I'm working on a 50% water change. Hopefully I can get things under control before the next hatch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abelschindler

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan