• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle egg adventure

Congratulations! i still have no hatchling yet, and you didnt hijack my thread its good to have all our info in one spot! makes it easier for others.

Sorry to hear about your first hatch but at least youve had 2 more, congratulations! im impatiently waiting every 10 mins or so and looking in my tank lol it happens.. one second you see no hatches, 10 minutes later you have a cuttle and even more stress to worry about! lol

you can drive to sachs? >_< /jealous...

Your collaboration has me thinking about making a sticky just for this type of interactive discussion without concerns for "hijacking". I'll think on it a bit and propose something to Tony. Excellent us of a forum.

CG, correct me is I am mistaken but aren't all S. officinalis in colder waters than S. bandensis? I have a hard enough time remembering he where abouts of the few octos I try to know a little about but I thought S. officinalis was only a cold(er) water ceph. It seems like the broad club is found in some of the areas for S. bandensis but their eggs are white (I remember Paradox getting one :biggrin2: and really hoping it was a flamboyant). The primary question was answered at hatching but I am still curious what combinations we might see.

I have driven to Sach's ONCE :biggrin2:

lilalancarey;190762 said:
you can drive to sachs? >_< /jealous...
Yes. Haha. I live only 45 minutes away. The joys of living in Florida. I'm not sure if I would have even attempted cuttlefish if I didn't live in such a convenient place. I'm only 15 years old, with a busy school life (being dual enrolled in college and high school) and an intense sports life, so I have little opportunity for a job, which makes cuttlefish expenses even more difficult. Living by Sachs, and the intercostal waterway (where I catch dozens of shore shrimp in no time at all) will cut the cost tremendously.

I know just what you mean about looking in the tank every ten minutes. You'll do so even more when you have hatchlings. :wink: I was at my tank side practically all day yesterday watching them.

Cuttle hatchling 1 is no longer with us.
Cuttle hatchling 3 seems to be going crazy?? He/she is swimming and spinning all over the net breeder in a helicopter-like fashion...anyone know what this means?

EDIT: Hatchling 3 has calmed down through the day. Now he just sits on the bottom of the net breeder underneath some chaeto. I've also noticed that Hatchling 2 is also spinning quite a bit and hanging around close to the top....odd... I've learned in my research that that is a sign of starvation, but there is three mysid shrimp, and 3 baby ghost shrimp in there for food...how could it be starvation?

EDIT EDIT: After lights out for about an hour, now both hatchlings are swimming in circles around the surface of the net breeder....anyone have any idea what is going on?

DWhatley;190770 said:
CG, correct me is I am mistaken but aren't all S. officinalis in colder waters than S. bandensis? I have a hard enough time remembering he where abouts of the few octos I try to know a little about but I thought S. officinalis was only a cold(er) water ceph. It seems like the broad club is found in some of the areas for S. bandensis but their eggs are white (I remember Paradox getting one :biggrin2: and really hoping it was a flamboyant). The primary question was answered at hatching but I am still curious what combinations we might see.

I was thinking that they were collected in different places and put together as cuttlefish eggs. Luckily, my thinking was incorrect...

DWhatley;190789 said:
Ah, getting my animals directly from the collector, I forget about the wholesale, retail exposure where anything can happen :biggrin2:
How do you get your animals from the collector? Is that a special privilege, or can I take part in that also?

:roflmao: Any time someone uses that term I always think of SandV's classification of Rigby.

I responded earlier but my internet is flaky when the heat exceeds 9x degrees. So far today they seem to have it under better controls or we have not reached the magic temperature.

Most of my animals come from a collector (K&P Aquatics) that does not regularly collect them. I do have a special relationship with them in that I get first call on any they happen upon and catch (a favor granted for being webmaster to the prior generation :biggrin2:). If they find one (or as recently posted in availability) more and I am not looking for one, I post on TONMO but they will also sell them directly so they are not around long. Kara and Philipp are open to being contacted for an unofficial waiting list and you can contact them through their website (in transition from sealifeinc.net to kpaquatics.com - use the sealifeinc address for now). There is no guarantee they will find one or what they will find. Philipp is becoming quite good at IDing them but usually contact me with a photo to validate.

Hope your cuttles are calming down deepblue lol that is strange behavior that i have never seen or heard of yet.

No hatchlings yet i am out of town for a few days but my well trained mother is taking care of my seahorses and checking on the cuttles, i have the option of coming home as soon as one hatches though so she is checking them pretty much hourly while she sits at home enjoying her summer vacation lol. I cannot wait and if i am one of the unlucky people who get no hatchlings ill just order more. (praying for a hatchling this week though, im frustrated, even though i only got them last tuesday, so nothing to worry about just yet.) I was planning on coming home wednesday but i might come home from the beach tomorrow night because being away from the tanks is stressing me out lol. She (my mother) can change water, top off the sump, feed regularly and turn lights on/off but i wont ask her to test the water or anything and thats what i want to do lol, it sounds strange but ive had dreams that i woke up in the middle of the night and saw a cuttle hatchling in my breeder and went back to sleep, only to wake up to no cuttle and remembering it was only a dream =/ Ahhh, obsessed with cuttles and want one now!

Cuttle hatchling 3 seems to be going crazy?? He/she is swimming and spinning all over the net breeder in a helicopter-like fashion...anyone know what this means?

From my experience with octopus and squid, this is a very bad sign. It sounds identical to what I observed with Cassy and Tank's hatchlings and they only lived a very short time (24-48 hours). I think the action is significant and would very much like to know if anyone has a suggestion as to the cause but I believe something does not develop correctly.

DWhatley;190873 said:
From my experience with octopus and squid, this is a very bad sign. It sounds identical to what I observed with Cassy and Tank's hatchlings and they only lived a very short time (24-48 hours). I think the action is significant and would very much like to know if anyone has a suggestion as to the cause but I believe something does not develop correctly.

Thats what I was afraid of. Both cuttles have acted this way, and both have survived for 3 days so far. I dont think either of them have eaten yet...
Hatchling 3 has calmed down a lot, and doesnt act that way as much, but hatchling 2 still acts "crazy" quite frequently.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back