Conanny - O.briareus Formerly Conan The Destroyer

:baby::birthday::glass:

Awwww......Welcome new babies!!!! And congrats to the new dad!!!! I remember when Egor had babies. They were so adorable! Best wishes!!! And keep on with the updates! (Smart little suckers aren't they:wink:)

Actually, unless I am imagining it, there are at least 3 and possibly a fourth in the picture of the one that thought you could not see him. Check the upper left corner and both above (possibly not) and below the center octo.

now what are you going to do? If i can convince shane that we need another pet i would love one.... but i don't think this is going to happen, but I think i might know someone that might want one... are you going to ship them? and when are you thinking of starting that process?

well time for an update...

today is the 14th... since the hatchings ive found about 30 dead babies(all within the last 24 hours or so). dwhatley came up the other day to pick up hers and unfourtunatly they all died before they got home but i hope all the shrimp and fiddlers they took home made the trip worth it. we dont know if it was due to temp fluxes due to a break down on the way home or what it was. all the babies ive found dead have holes taken out of their mantles which leads me to believe that they are fighting amongst each other. also most of the dead ones ive found have been in areas where i know a high number of babies are residing which also would explain why the fighting is occuring. all the babies that i had in groups in the breeder nets and seperate tanks did not make it due to the same symptoms but the ones that were by themselves in the tanks were doing fine (at least when i sent them home with D...).im not seeing them on the glass like i was before which is making me think that they are finding homes in the rockwork and not coming out except in the middle of the night. all my water params are fine and i did a water change last night just in case. conanny is still doing ok and is guarding the single unhatched egg but not really eating anything anymore(its still alive in there just a little slow in coming out into the world).

nancy, i know you and colin tried to raise babies of this species, did yall see a similar occurance during the process? i know you mentioned that they are canabalistic which would solidify my theory on the reason behind the deaths. i also kindof figured that nature would run its course on the majority of them.

Briareus are cannibalistic, so you may be right about what you're seeing. Also, when I was raising briareus hatchlings, I saw them for a about a week, then they all disappeared into the rocks and probably only came out at night. You may think you have none, but they're very good at hiding.

Nancy

Ditto what nancy said, i was convinced that some were getting eaten by critters in the rocks too, perhaps big bristleworms?

just keep chucking in plenty food

As Joe mentioned, Neal and I drove up to Charleston to pickup a few of Connany's young. Joe helped us catch octo food (he actually caught most of it but we had fun trying) as well as showed us where to buy enough so that we paid for the trip (almost) in savings. Sadly everything made it home except the three little octos. Our car decided to have transmission problems (and is still in Greenville visiting the Acura dealer but turned out - we hope - to be a minor problem in spite of 2 quarts of transmission fluid having been blown all over the engine as well as the rear door) and the return trip took much longer than the anticipated 5 hours (my son drove up to retrieve us and the critters) but we had an inverter and air pumps (and managed not to run the battery completely dead) to keep air bubbling in the livestock containers. The weather was a little chilly and there was little water movement in their bucket (they were kept separated so cannibalism was not a factor) and we did not provide food for about 10 hours. Somewhere in the mix the little ones did not survive. We even bought some live large shrimp for Octane to hunt that the bait store all but guaranteed would not live and they are still moving about in my son's tank. The shore shrimp and fiddlers had to ride in the back of the pickup and were very cold (the large shrimp and octos were inside the truck) when we got home but our food critter loss was minimal so I was quite shaken to find the three little ones lifeless.

Attachments

• conv_292614.jpg
    conv_292614.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
  • conv_292615.jpg
    conv_292615.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • conv_292616.jpg
    conv_292616.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
  • conv_292617.jpg
    conv_292617.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
So sorry to hear about this D, I know you were looking forward to them.
Joe, I dont know much about raising a brood of baby octos but it seems like no matter what we try, sometimes mother nature always has a way to thin out the heard so to speak. I am definately pulling for you and your young ones.. :fingerscrossed:

well its been a while since an update so here it goes.

its 4/26/08

been a while since ive seen any babies. ive been putting in grass shrimp about 50 at a time and they seem to dissappear over about 5 days then i add more. i also havent found a single dead one since the first group i found during the first week. conanny is still kicking around and the last egg finally hatched the other day. she has begun excavating out the den again and is starting to come out a little bit more again also. other than that everything is just moving along.

im moving the tank next week which im sure ill find lots of babies then. luckly im not moving far and it gives me a chance to make some changes to the system.

first im adding a second overflow box and a larger return pump. the new return is a 1200 gph mag drive and im putting a scwd on it to help with the water circulation. second im going to redo the sump system and try and chamber it for a large sand bed/ refugium.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back