BENABEHENRY octo?

Discussion in 'ID Requests' started by gholland, Aug 16, 2008.

1. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

2. gholland

I've seen pics of similar octos from the Indo-Pacific region, specifically Sentosa Island, Singapore. Could it be Cistopus indicus?
    ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/009/ac479e/AC479E35.pdf
    I can't find a good pic of that species anywhere... Is it in Hanlon's guide?

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I can't be of any help on this one but you have me wondering why you are asking ... :sagrin:

4. gholland

Remind me to never play chess with you D... always one step ahead of me. :wink:

Billy at stomatopod.com just received three of that species... I don't have the info on size, but that 2005 account from BENABEHENRY seems to agree with Billy's take on the "personality" of this species. In Billy's words:
    "they have extremely long arms and that they display magnificent shapes much like the mimics do" and ​
    "this octopus is so very impressive"​
    I've attached his pic below. From what I've seen, the dark skin around the suckers seems to be an unusual characteristic... I'm thinking you need one of these D, so you can compare them to the hummelincki. :sagrin: This may be the one he received as a "Bali octopus". He is reluctant to post an unidentified octo for sale, so I was hoping to tap the vast knowledge of our members here. :smile:

Attached Files:

5. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Roy and Mucktopus seem to be quite good at IDing octos from that area, particularly ones that we don't see in the pet trade too often. I hope they'll see this and respond, but nudging them with a PM might be good.

6. DWhatley

If that were true, I should have immediately asked what Billie received in the first octo shipment since I was aware of your post about a possible supplier that could become an excellent (albeit expensive) source for octos. In my earlier life, two and two would have made four much more quickly. :old:

Unfortunately, if we can get a max size on them, I would be very interested. Octane has been showing signs of sesenence for the last month but I have just excellerated the process though carelessness. I will be watching the thread to see if Muctopus or Roy have a suggestion. Can you ask Billie approximately how long the arms are in swim position? I is OK to mention my interest. Thanks for the additional info. That is a stunning critter and I have my fingers crossed that is it aquarium keepable (is that a word?)

I hope not, but Billie should be able to negate (but not necessarily confirm) this by looking for eight pouches around the mouth (page 211 in Norman's Cephalopods A World Guide) These would be slime pouches and would imply an animal not well suited to an aquarium. Unfortunately the only picture in norman is of the underside.

7. gholland

I didn't mean that stomatopod.com would be an expensive source (they aren't expensive for mantis, especially considering the individual attention)... just that keeping "one of everything that comes in" would be expensive for them. I'm sure that's just an excuse for them to have more "pets". :wink:

I'll let him know and see what I can find out. I keep hoping he will jump in here.

8. gholland

I already sent him a picture (from the link below) of the pores and pouches associated with the Cistopus sp. so we shall see. As I understood it, the purpose of the mucus is unknown, but is speculated to be used for lining a burrow.
    http://etd.lib.nsysu.edu.tw/ETD-db/ETD-search/view_etd?URN=etd-0622103-184409

9. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Very beautiful whatever it is. Love the fanned out arms. Some sort of Abdopus maybe?

10. DWhatley

Greg,
    Try this one on for size: http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o6/dwhatley/Octocapricornicus.jpg

I kept thinking I had seen those arms somewhere. This one is Australian but the arm look (shape and patterns) is similar and I have noticed that a lot of the Aussie octos are also found in Indonesia even though this is not mentioned in Norman's book. The personality fits as well as AM's thought about abdopus (I believe this one has been reclassified as abdopus vs octopus)

11. Animal Mother

I wouldn't go as far as to say aculeatus, but the two I've kept have displayed very similar patterns and the flattened out, bowed arms, as well as the black and gold coloration. The texture and eyes just don't look right. And that looks like a larger species, although that doesn't mean anything because there isn't anything to reference it by. Just looks bigger.

12. Animal Mother

I was looking for capricornus! Can't find pics of the other Abdopus octos to save my life.

13. DWhatley

The link is to Octopus (abdopus) capricornius (pg 239 in Norman's Cephalopods a World Guide) and seems to meet those just slightly different observations.

14. DWhatley

I am searching for more info and pics as well. I have found mention of the reclassification (Cephbase is, as usual, down :banghead:) and several other references without information but nothing that has pictures or descriptions.

15. gholland

I've also found a few photos attributed to the Sydney octopus (O. tetricus) that look similar, but who knows... there are so many undescribed Aussie octos and the casual observer may simply call it the one name they know.

16. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

I've seen this - or something very similar on the GBR, but I think it is un-named.

Roy

17. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

It does look like it's in Abdopus. Many of these species look so similar that it's hard to tell the difference just by looking- even standard morphological characters can be tricky. I posted some pics of acuelatus on the Tree of Life website a while back. If you have access to a university library you can find more by searching google scholar for Abdopus aculeatus and checking out the papers on their body patterning and locomotion respectively.
    Hope this helps!
    C

18. stomato

stomato Larval Mass Registered

Sorry it's taken me so long to join in on this thread all. Thanks for kicking it off for us gholland. We are quite used to working with many species of mantis and several common species of octopus (bimacs, blue-rings, etc.) But we do feel that this species is very different. My partner and manager Thomas has kept many for several years now and he too concludes that he has no experience with this species.

They measure over 12" from tip to tip and about 12" from mantle to arm tip. Their mantle is about 4-5". At rest they have small round papillae, but once in motion they seem to disappear. It may have no bearing on the identification of this species, but we have seen them bear a wide variety of color patterns. From solid grey, to white, to jet black, to jet black with a single white stripe down the mantle, to mottled brown/black, and so on.

The photo listed was when one did not like my presence and attempted to attack or perhaps scare me off. I had the feeling that he would have attacked me if I was in there with him.

I have spoken to Roy and our plan is to get them shipped to him and his staff there at Berkley today. At this point we do not have the ability to identify them further.

Our apologies for not getting here sooner. Our next shipment arrives next week which is sure to be another good one. Thanks for all the help everyone.

19. DWhatley

I had this premonition that someone (uh humm) at Berkeley had an interest ...

20. stomato

stomato Larval Mass Registered

We like to give research department opportunities to further their and our knowledge. We have dedicated several questionable species of stomatopod throughout the last year in the name of research. Fortunately we have very good resources for obtaining various species. We will be bringing in a few more of them for sure.