BENABEHENRY octo?

Can anybody ID this octo kept by BENABEHENRY back in 2005?
DSCN5063.JPG

http://www.tonmo.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/370
Didn't see an ID when searching the old threads.

dwhatley;123108 said:
you have me wondering why you are asking ... :sagrin:

Remind me to never play chess with you D... always one step ahead of me. :wink:

Billy at stomatopod.com just received three of that species... I don't have the info on size, but that 2005 account from BENABEHENRY seems to agree with Billy's take on the "personality" of this species. In Billy's words:
"they have extremely long arms and that they display magnificent shapes much like the mimics do" and​
"this octopus is so very impressive"​
I've attached his pic below. From what I've seen, the dark skin around the suckers seems to be an unusual characteristic... I'm thinking you need one of these D, so you can compare them to the hummelincki. :sagrin: This may be the one he received as a "Bali octopus". He is reluctant to post an unidentified octo for sale, so I was hoping to tap the vast knowledge of our members here. :smile:

Attachments

• conv_293109.jpg
    conv_293109.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0
Roy and Mucktopus seem to be quite good at IDing octos from that area, particularly ones that we don't see in the pet trade too often. I hope they'll see this and respond, but nudging them with a PM might be good.

Upvote 0
Remind me to never play chess with you D... always one step ahead of me.
If that were true, I should have immediately asked what Billie received in the first octo shipment since I was aware of your post about a possible supplier that could become an excellent (albeit expensive) source for octos. In my earlier life, two and two would have made four much more quickly. :old:

I'm thinking you need one of these D, so you can compare them to the hummelincki.

Unfortunately, if we can get a max size on them, I would be very interested. Octane has been showing signs of sesenence for the last month but I have just excellerated the process though carelessness. I will be watching the thread to see if Muctopus or Roy have a suggestion. Can you ask Billie approximately how long the arms are in swim position? I is OK to mention my interest. Thanks for the additional info. That is a stunning critter and I have my fingers crossed that is it aquarium keepable (is that a word?)

Could it be Cistopus indicus?
I hope not, but Billie should be able to negate (but not necessarily confirm) this by looking for eight pouches around the mouth (page 211 in Norman's Cephalopods A World Guide) These would be slime pouches and would imply an animal not well suited to an aquarium. Unfortunately the only picture in norman is of the underside.

Upvote 0
dwhatley;123126 said:
I was aware of your post about a possible supplier that could become an excellent (albeit expensive) source for octos.

Can you ask Billie approximately how long the arms are in swim position? I is OK to mention my interest. Thanks for the additional info. That is a stunning critter and I have my fingers crossed that is it aquarium keepable (is that a word?)

I didn't mean that stomatopod.com would be an expensive source (they aren't expensive for mantis, especially considering the individual attention)... just that keeping "one of everything that comes in" would be expensive for them. I'm sure that's just an excuse for them to have more "pets". :wink:

I'll let him know and see what I can find out. I keep hoping he will jump in here.

Upvote 0
dwhatley;123126 said:
I hope not, but Billie should be able to negate (but not necessarily confirm) this by looking for eight pouches around the mouth (page 211 in Norman's Cephalopods A World Guide) These would be slime pouches and would imply an animal not well suited to an aquarium. Unfortunately the only picture in norman is of the underside.

I already sent him a picture (from the link below) of the pores and pouches associated with the Cistopus sp. so we shall see. As I understood it, the purpose of the mucus is unknown, but is speculated to be used for lining a burrow.
http://etd.lib.nsysu.edu.tw/ETD-db/ETD-search/view_etd?URN=etd-0622103-184409

Upvote 0
Greg,
Try this one on for size: http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o6/dwhatley/Octocapricornicus.jpg

I kept thinking I had seen those arms somewhere. This one is Australian but the arm look (shape and patterns) is similar and I have noticed that a lot of the Aussie octos are also found in Indonesia even though this is not mentioned in Norman's book. The personality fits as well as AM's thought about abdopus (I believe this one has been reclassified as abdopus vs octopus)

Upvote 0
I wouldn't go as far as to say aculeatus, but the two I've kept have displayed very similar patterns and the flattened out, bowed arms, as well as the black and gold coloration. The texture and eyes just don't look right. And that looks like a larger species, although that doesn't mean anything because there isn't anything to reference it by. Just looks bigger.

Upvote 0
Animal Mother;123138 said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say aculeatus, but the two I've kept have displayed very similar patterns and the flattened out, bowed arms, as well as the black and gold coloration. The texture and eyes just don't look right. And that looks like a larger species, although that doesn't mean anything because there isn't anything to reference it by. Just looks bigger.

The link is to Octopus (abdopus) capricornius (pg 239 in Norman's Cephalopods a World Guide) and seems to meet those just slightly different observations.

Upvote 0
Animal Mother;123139 said:
I was looking for capricornus! Can't find pics of the other Abdopus octos to save my life.

I am searching for more info and pics as well. I have found mention of the reclassification (Cephbase is, as usual, down :banghead:) and several other references without information but nothing that has pictures or descriptions.

Upvote 0
I've also found a few photos attributed to the Sydney octopus (O. tetricus) that look similar, but who knows... there are so many undescribed Aussie octos and the casual observer may simply call it the one name they know.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back