ID LiveAquaria from Indonesia

OctoSF

Cuttlefish
Registered
Day 4 with this octo... looking forward to an ID so I can better support it's needs. Attached are a few different pictures that show some different shapes and colors.

Also a night time video -

I'm thinking Abdopus Aculeatus from some other IDs I have seen here. However his behavior is mostly nocturnal after the first day when it did move about during the day.

3rd and 4th left arms are shorter. Do these grow back?

Attachments

• IMG_20190117_164715.jpg
    IMG_20190117_164715.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20190117_164901_1.jpg
    IMG_20190117_164901_1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20190117_215149.jpg
    IMG_20190117_215149.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20190118_093043.jpg
    IMG_20190118_093043.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 121
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a couple of days with limited internet access.

I would agree with your A aculeatus guess. We have seen a few animals that we suspect to be in the Abdopus genus that have been nocturnal and generally quite small (potentially not aculeatus), however it takes an octopus about a month to fully adjust to tank life and often personalities seem to change quite drastically over that acclimation.

Upvote 0
I don't see any indication that your new ward is male. The third arm clockwise (as you orient your eyes with the octos) does not seem to be held rolled up in the video but occasionally males will use their hectocotylus arm normally.

I am not sure if all the arms on Abdopus are naturally the same length but if the shortened arms are NOT the same on opposite sides, then yes, damaged arms do grow back and arm damage is common.

Upvote 0
Update - The octo was definitely female. After about 2 weeks of nocturnal movement she settled down in a rock cave and covered the door. I tried with minimal success to lure her out with food and even moved the shells away from the door to do so. She was not eating much.

At this time I begun to suspect she is probably the nocturnal dwarf species and is approaching end of life. Or she is depressed and/or sick and wants to crawl in a hole and die.

Last week I confirmed Senescence after a batch of eggs had floated out of the back of her cave.

Question is now what? How long until she passes? What to do now? Anything?

I feel guilty that I purchased a very mature octo that should have been left in the ocean, however I really want another one if I can get a better confirmation on species and age.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back