ID LiveAquaria from Indonesia

OctoSF

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Day 4 with this octo... looking forward to an ID so I can better support it's needs. Attached are a few different pictures that show some different shapes and colors.

Also a night time video -

I'm thinking Abdopus Aculeatus from some other IDs I have seen here. However his behavior is mostly nocturnal after the first day when it did move about during the day.

3rd and 4th left arms are shorter. Do these grow back?

Attachments

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Wow, beautiful octo. @DWhatley is usually pretty good at offering an ID, so I've attempted a summon with that tag :smile:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a couple of days with limited internet access.

I would agree with your A aculeatus guess. We have seen a few animals that we suspect to be in the Abdopus genus that have been nocturnal and generally quite small (potentially not aculeatus), however it takes an octopus about a month to fully adjust to tank life and often personalities seem to change quite drastically over that acclimation.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see any indication that your new ward is male. The third arm clockwise (as you orient your eyes with the octos) does not seem to be held rolled up in the video but occasionally males will use their hectocotylus arm normally.

I am not sure if all the arms on Abdopus are naturally the same length but if the shortened arms are NOT the same on opposite sides, then yes, damaged arms do grow back and arm damage is common.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthSeaPugsNReefin

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards