A. aculeatus? | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

A. aculeatus?

hooterhead

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I got this one from Bali. Of course it was shipped as Octopus sp. (no help there). Diurinal, Mantle approximately 1-2" (doesn't seem to let me see long enough to get more than a guess), arm length around 3-4" (one arm only). These are strictly guesses. He/she spends time in the open sort of bunched up as in the second and third pics. Still a bit camera shy but getting better. If these won't do then I can try for better ones. If I can get an ID, it'd be great but I'd also like to be able to gain a gender if possible. Thank you!

Brandon

Attachments

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
What (approx) is the ratio of the mantle to the arm length?
Are there any eyespots (distinct circles - usually one on each side - not always visible) on the head (below the mantle) Note the blue circle surrounded by orange on my avitar?
Does it keep one arm curled even when the others are actively open (usually the third to the right)?
An extended arm photo showing eyes and mantle would be helpful.

hooterhead

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
No spots at all. Does often sport a "skunk" stripe down the mantle. Mantle to arm ratio actually upon closer inspection could be as much as one to three or one to four. Here's a better picture of the head during feeding. Hope it helps. I'll continue to try for a better full body picture as it will allow.

Attachments

La_Dispute

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
This is actually exactly what I was looking for, I just got the same octopus and was trying to figure out the species too. I was just wondering, how can you tell it's gender?

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Males tend to have over-sized suckers that are easily distinguishable from the rest. Sometimes it's not real obvious. Roy has observed their mating behaviors quite a bit so I'm sure he could provide you with more insight into what to look for.

Members online

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards