A. aculeatus?

I got this one from Bali. Of course it was shipped as Octopus sp. (no help there). Diurinal, Mantle approximately 1-2" (doesn't seem to let me see long enough to get more than a guess), arm length around 3-4" (one arm only). These are strictly guesses. He/she spends time in the open sort of bunched up as in the second and third pics. Still a bit camera shy but getting better. If these won't do then I can try for better ones. If I can get an ID, it'd be great but I'd also like to be able to gain a gender if possible. Thank you!

Brandon

Attachments

• conv_303432.jpg
    conv_303432.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 99
  • conv_303433.jpg
    conv_303433.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 110
  • conv_303434.jpg
    conv_303434.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 115
What (approx) is the ratio of the mantle to the arm length?
Are there any eyespots (distinct circles - usually one on each side - not always visible) on the head (below the mantle) Note the blue circle surrounded by orange on my avitar?
Does it keep one arm curled even when the others are actively open (usually the third to the right)?
An extended arm photo showing eyes and mantle would be helpful.

Upvote 0
No spots at all. Does often sport a "skunk" stripe down the mantle. Mantle to arm ratio actually upon closer inspection could be as much as one to three or one to four. Here's a better picture of the head during feeding. Hope it helps. I'll continue to try for a better full body picture as it will allow.

Attachments

• conv_293333.jpg
    conv_293333.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0
This is actually exactly what I was looking for, I just got the same octopus and was trying to figure out the species too. I was just wondering, how can you tell it's gender?

Upvote 0
Males tend to have over-sized suckers that are easily distinguishable from the rest. Sometimes it's not real obvious. Roy has observed their mating behaviors quite a bit so I'm sure he could provide you with more insight into what to look for.

Upvote 0
Try using this thread (a few posts above where the link takes you):
Arm length = octo sex?
to see if you're able to sex your octopus. Some of the suckers in your photo look slightly enlarged but it's borderline. You'll have better luck looking for the groove along the back edge of right arm three.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back