• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wonderpus - Fontanelle

cthulhu77;102668 said:
Nope, I meant another rare animal ripped out of its habitat to satisfy the consumer.

While I appreciate your opinion, and the fact that there are strong opinions on both sides of this argument, it really tears at the fabric of the civility of this community for one opinion to be stated so harshly.

Your statement of your opinion, while as worthwhile as any other, is not going to change the past, and stated so harshly, may adversely affect even those who agree with you when making decisions on this topic in the future.

Some tact may make for better discussion without the unnecessary drama - particularly since as a staff member, you are expected to be an example to the rest of us.

My $.02, not that anyone asked.

cthulhu77;102668 said:
Nope, I meant another rare animal ripped out of its habitat to satisfy the consumer.

Its the same animal as the last time you went off on the subject.

Your points would be better received IMO if you seemed to actually know about the situation you were commenting on, if you seemed more interested in discussion rather than harsh pontificating and if you were consistent in your positions about cephalopod husbandry (how you can feel that cephs should not be kept in home aquaria yet still give people advice on how to keep them is beyond me).

Derisive posts about the Care for exotic and rare species of cephalopods in the members only, ceph care section of TONMO dedicated to 'Care for exotic and rare species of cephalopods' by a TONMO staff member make this community a whole lot less fulfilling to support - though perhaps it is your intent to drive people off and shut down discussion.

Thales;102689 said:
...Your points would be better received...if you were consistent in your positions about cephalopod husbandry (how you can feel that cephs should not be kept in home aquaria yet still give people advice on how to keep them is beyond me).

Agreed.

Thales;102689 said:
Derisive posts about the Care for exotic and rare species of cephalopods in the members only, ceph care section of TONMO dedicated to 'Care for exotic and rare species of cephalopods' by a TONMO staff member make this community a whole lot less fulfilling to support - though perhaps it is your intent to drive people off and shut down discussion.

I believe you're on to something here. I'm unsure why he's here at all and am at a complete loss as to his staff status if he honestly feels as he has stated.

Cthulhu77, you want to shed some light on this? Anyone?

Animal Mother;102713 said:
Can we please not defile this thread? Take it to another topic/subject...
Agreed. I'm not all that keen on starting another thread on this topic, but I'll close this discussion by saying I'll address this with Greg and will respond to the questions posed here by the community, which are quite reasonable questions and worthy of response.

Thales, I'm sorry to hear of this loss. It's always sad when we lose a great ceph such as this one. You really did so much to chronicle his life and share it here, and I know I speak for many when I say I really appreciate it!

Tonmo is not intended only for those people interested in ceph husbandry, but all things ceph related. That would include protection from exploitation of rare and possibly threatened species. I do not intend this to imply that Thales in any way is guilty of this, or to re-open a painful and acrimonious debate, but to point out that just as in most things, there are very different opinions about what to do when rare species are taken from the wild. I think we are all in agreement that we shouldn't encourage that, but we don't always agree about whether it's better to allow one member of that species to die rather than give it a chance to survive for a few more months. I don't pretend to know the answer, but I will say that it's possible that in the case of Fontenelle we've learned some things that may ultimately prove valuable.

Thanks Sorseress -- I think all that you say is quite true, and at the same time I think there is a time and a place for everything. The current discussion on this thread should have been relegated to discussion of Fontanelle's death in a supportive way. This isn't the time or place to spark unsolicited debate on ceph keeping ethics, no less direct a derisive comment to Fontanelle's keeper.

I've reached out to Greg on this via PM; I gather he hasn't checked back yet but let me hasten to apologize on behalf of Staff for this negative turn, and as I said I'll circle back once I've got closure.

If I somehow offended Thales by commenting about his husbandry ,I do heartily apologize. He has always been top notch in his ceph care.

Thanks for the apology and the compliment. At the same time, I don't think (and don't think anyone thinks) you said anything about my husbandry in your recent posts.

I don't really have any personal gripes, and I think you offer a good and needed perspective. I am fine with disagreements, I would just like the discussion to be productive, germane and respectful. Again, I appreciate your apology and am all for moving forward from here.

Whew, a better way to bring this thread to a close than the above silliness!

Here is a pic of Fontenelle fixing in formalin, and another of him laid out prior to shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back