• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wonderpus - Fontanelle

hi. i have kept saltwater tanks and octopii before and was wondering about the husbandry of wonderpus. Can anyone tell me because there are so little in books.

Thank You

This thread has got all the information I have about keeping a wunderpus, as well as information on why it prolly isn't a good idea to keep them. I don't really have much to add that isn't already in this thread. :biggrin2:

He is definitely heading into senescence. The tips of some of his arms have been missing and today I saw bristle worms and a hermit crab eating the tip of one of his arms. I try to post the pics later this week. Gruesome. He just sat there and was letting them much away. I have to decide if I should move him, euthanize him, or try to remove the bristle worms and the hermit from his tank.
But all in all a good run. I have had him for over 7 months and he was an adult when I got him.

Hey Guys,

Fontenelle died on September 20th. It was pretty quick. I noticed his arms being eaten on the 19th (the pic below of the crab eating his arm was taken that day) and he was dead the next afternoon. The middle pic was taken in the morning (I had never seen him drape/flop his arms that way before), and I found him dead, the last pic, that afternoon.

An arm tip has already been given to Crissy's associate at the California Academy for DNA work, and his body is fixing in formalin so he can be sent to where he will be the most useful.

I do miss seeing him every morning and every night, but I am not too upset that he is dead. Keeping and breeding cephs for the last 4 or 5 years has conditioned me to enjoy they while they are alive and to expect them to die. Its part of the game, and I feel bad if I have done something stupid to cause a ceph death, or if the death is mysterious. In this case, I think he lived a natural lifespan that I was able to document, and I can only feel proud that I was able to pull that off, and even prouder that his remains will be useful - and we really have TONMO to thank for that.

And to put all the Fontenelle stuff in one place -

Thales;101672 said:
I wrote an article about Fontanelle for Anthony Calfo's magazine. :biggrin2: It was just published but here is a link to the copy I scanned and a thumbnail of the first page. Lemmie know what you think!

The Ballet of the Wunderpus

cjournal_wunderpus01.jpg

RIP Fontanelle :angelpus:

Thanks for documenting his life and for the photos, Rich.

The article is now accessible from a thread that stays at the top of this forum.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back