• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wonderpus - Fontanelle

Its a remote flash, wireless - triggered by the onboard flash with the camera in 'commander' mode. Mostly its placed above, but I shoot with the flash in one hand and the camera in the other because the occy moves around too much for any of the equipment to be static.

Fontanelle is still fine. :biggrin2:

Had a scare the other day, I couldn't find him. The tank is pretty overgrowin (see pic), and I didn't want to scare him if he actually dug himself in. At the same time, I wanted to make sure he wasn't dead. I finally found him partially dug in under a rock beneath the over growth. Tried to get a pic, but you just cant see him in it.
I am hand (tweezer) feeding him now. I tap on the tank twice and arms come out from behind the intake of the HOT overflow and the shrimp goes into the arms. Pretty fun and sometimes we play tug of war with the tweezers.
I am prolly going to harvest a good bunch of the macro soon. He isn't really using it, and it makes finding him harder.

I did also try a mirror,but he ignored it.

Thanks guy,

Jake, nothing changed from earlier in the thread regarding his 'outness'. Out for a little in the morning and at night, hardly ever during the day.

aromantis;100426 said:
HOw long do they live and would u reccomend this species to someone with prior ceph experience and a 75 gal. to put it in? Seen any mimicry yet?

Based on this thread - Cuttle fish lighting and care - I strongly urge you to stay away from this species. Please don't take that as a personal affront, it just seems you don't have your 'saltwater thumb' yet. :smile:

From earlier in this thread:
The size of wunderpus populations in the wild is unknown, and it is unclear what effect their collection will have on those populations. Little is known about what they need to survive in the wild, and even less is known about what they need to live well in the aquarium. After much wrestling with this issue, I urge even experienced ceph-keepers to think long and hard before bringing one into the home aquarium. Many cephalopod enthusiasts feel that the wunderpus shouldn’t even be collected for the trade at least until more scientific research has been done on the species. I only accepted responsibility for Fontanelle because, by serendipity, I was able to obtain a healthy animal before it was tanked at an importer, at a time when I had a mature, ceph-ready aquarium available.

LOL- i didnt mean for me. I wouldnt even consider it until i had atleast a good solid year of ceph experience and maybe not then. Also i would only purchase this octo if there was a small one at a fish store that i wanted to try and rescue. LOL

aromantis;100430 said:
LOL- i didnt mean for me. I wouldnt even consider it until i had atleast a good solid year of ceph experience and maybe not then. Also i would only purchase this octo if there was a small one at a fish store that i wanted to try and rescue. LOL

Unfortunately "rescuing" them from a fish store only motivates the fish store to receive and sell more of them. And at $300+ in most cases, that's a lot of money to spend on something that only lives a year or so, if even that long.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back