What do your friends think?

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by tonmo, Dec 11, 2002.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

:)

2. Sedusa

Sedusa GPO Registered

Most of my friends think it's funny... But even the ones who think it's funny I've caught correcting people on the plural of the word octopus and giving up eating cephalopods. :)

3. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Family members and most friends are amazed and want one.

Work people :bonk: think I'm insane. Can't figure out why I'm sooo obscessed with these creatures!!!!!

They don't know what they're missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

No!!!!!!!
    That's just not right, they're tasty (that is if you know how to cook them)

Mom thinks I'm gross, she thinks that cephlaopods are slugs with suckers, ew....

5. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

All of my friends love the critters...one of their favourite things to do is go out at low tide and look for them...when I have a tank set up, it gets more positive attention than anything else in the whole house!

greg

6. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Ok, Most of them just laugh at me. I'm like beyond just interested, if you get me talking about octopus and squid I get so excited and start talking like 10000 words a second. (slight exageration) I did that in science class one day, apparently it was funny, but my friends then started asking questions about squid and octopus, that got me even more excited.!!!!

7. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Most think I'm weird but are happy to pander to that weirdness.......they think it's a harmless obsession..... little do they know the truth :twisted:

J

8. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Most of my friends point me to news and websites about octos. Two or three will even come to TONMOcon. But last week I mentioned TONMO to a colleague and friend. She looked at me like I had tentacles! She had no idea I was interested in octos at all. :bonk: Who knew that there are so many other things - work, music, boys - to talk about?

Melissa

9. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

My friends and family are a patient, loving lot, so they're used to it. Most seem to find it mildly endearing when I excitedly tell them about the latest amazing discoveries. I do enjoy telling people about the big teuthids, as quite a few people think that giant squids are fignewtons of Jules Verne's imagination. To a man/woman, they all find the colossal squid particularly disturbing.

Clem

10. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

i can say its best to wait until a second or a third date to go off on a ceph tangent....

:neutral:

11. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

I can usually get away with mentioning it and not getting the 'what planet are you from?' look as long as I don't mention TONMO and the squid PhD in the same sentence. :wink:

12. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

When Rebecca first met me, she overheard me at a party talking to somebody about how my ideal home would be a disused offshore oil rig or hollowed-out volcano where I could live like a Bond villain - feeding interlopers to my pet giant squid. When she heard that last part she immediately had to follow my voice and see just exactly who I was.

A few months later, I invited her to come watch an octopus video with me and we made the leap from "just friends" to seriously involved the same night. Less than a year later we were husband and wife. Cupid is a cephalopod!

13. clownfish

clownfish Vampyroteuthis Registered

ya I do tell alot of people but most just say cool and forget about it I wish there was someone I new personaly who was Into octopus or even fish atlease to the marine level. what ever I have tonmo !!! thats good enough for me.

14. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Actually, as an update, I rant about it alot so some of my friends have actually started to get interested in my marine obsession. And I go on tonmo at school, so they often ask what kind of a wacko site I'm on. (I will convert them all into ceph entheusist one way or another whahahaha) Ya, but I've found that eventually your friends will accept your strangeness and move on, or ask questions!

15. Mizu

Mizu Vampyroteuthis Registered

EVeryone always has the same question.
    Are you gonna eat him?
    people are strange

16. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Lol, i get the same question alot too!

My friends think its pretty neat though they're not exactly inspired, girls seem to think cuttles are really cute ( those that have seen them anyway) :grin:

17. flash02161

flash02161 Cuttlefish Registered

my girlfriend thinks its silly, but everyone else i know thinks it's the coolest pet in the world

18. Scouse

Scouse Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Some think its a bit weird
    others think its cool
    some think its weird an cool
    all cant wait to see it
    all expect the unexpected anyway :lol:

19. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

My 'friends' at school think that TONMO.com is a online animal 'dating' site where humans go on a 'date' cephs.

20. PurpleTentacle

PurpleTentacle GPO Supporter

You mean it's not? Next thing you're gonna tell me is that a cuddle-fish isn't, well, nevermind.

When I saw the question my first thought was: friends? Then I remembered that I still have a few and they think this whole ceph fascination is a little wierd, especially the Lovecraft stories I've been telling them about. They also think it's funny, in a laughing "at" me sort of way. But that's okay. Maybe I'll get one of them blue ring octo's and encourage them to come over and play with it... :twisted: