• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What do i do to to get my baby bimac to play with me?

XxAlex_OhxX

Hatchling
Registered
Hello yall. I have a baby bimac or Octopus bimaculoides. I know it isnt a bimaculatus because of the shape of its ring. Hes still pretty small with only a 1.5 inch mantle. I know bimacs are naturally active at night, but ive seen people playing with theirs with toys and not during the day. How do i make it active during the day? What can i do to encourage it to interact with me? What type of lighting do they enjoy?

Hi @XxAlex_OhxX, thanks for joining! Hopefully we'll get some expert insights here, but in the meantime, try our Search feature. Here's a related thread from @kjarm from earlier this year:

Here's another, where @joe_ceph provided great insights, and @DWhatley of course offered us so much over the years...

Welcome to the community -- and please keep us updated on your progress! :octopus:

Ensure your bimac knows you are the source of live food. try holding the live food in front of your bimac with long feeding tongs, it will become curious about the live offerings and then curious about the feeding tongs and the hand attached to the feeding tongs.
Have good energy-dont get upset if they aren't showing an interest in you immediately. The goal is relationship building. you can also try to make the same little noise right before putting your hand (and their live food) in their tank. i made a little tap on the glass with the feeding tongs (think like a secret door knock from when you were a kid) Over the course of the next two weeks it'll start to notice you are the source of everything interesting. you bring the live food and you bring the toys. it'll become interested in you! They just need a little adjustment time :smile: Although they are nocturnal you'll also see crepuscular behavior (active around dawn and dusk) As my bimac became more interested in me she seemed to come out during the day to interact with me. if you do more of your activities close to the tank i think that'll encourage yours to come out during the day but you shouldn't expect a complete night/day reversal for a bimac.

Have good energy-dont get upset if they aren't showing an interest in you immediately. The goal is relationship building. you can also try to make the same little noise right before putting your hand (and their live food) in their tank.
love this, it resonates!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back