• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WC bandensis eggs!

A lot of times if you flood feed them, they seem to be less interested in food. I spent many worry filled days filling pods into the breeder and not see them eat. I had more success when I just threw a couple pods in at a time..They would then eat right in front of me!!

Did Righty send some pods your way as well?

I think Righty put some pods in the water that they shipped in (there was a couple of strands of seaweed). But due to a mistake by my hubby (he thought the heater pack was dried cuttlefish food...), I had to quickly move the cuttles straight to the breeder tank.

I ship them with some macro so they have something to hold onto and I put Reef-Nutrition Tigger Pods in with them incase they are hungry. When they first hatch they seem to eat the tigger pods which are readily available off the shelf. The Tigger Pods are too small to feed after the first week though. :biggrin2:

About the interest in food. One thing that I learned about feeding from my many visits to the NRCC (and this concerned octopuses but probably applies to all cephs) was that you can't just put in a lot of food and expect the babies to eat it. Somehow they lose interest, so new food must be added frequently - several times a day. In this case it was mysids, but it could be pods or other food.

Nancy

I am putting a couple of mysids (2-3) per day. One breeder had 5 mysids last night and when I woke up there were 2. It is possible that the mysids escaped through the slits of the breeder tank, and I saw stalking behavior last night. It is of course possible that the cuttles are eating when I'm not watching them...

Cuttles still alive, mysids seemed to have disappeared... I'm guessing that they are eating when I am not watching. Seems like they would be dead after 4 days of not eating. Whew, I forgot how much you worry about the babies...

I just saw Scrunchy grab a mysid!!! Yeah, they're going to make it! One is named Cuddly Cuttlefish (my 4 year-old named it...), one is named Scrunchy (my 8-year old's name) and one is of yet unnamed (I am supposed to name it), so for now it will be "Baby A", in honor of my twin sister who was unnamed for several days...:biggrin2:

Too cool Righty. Just bad timing on my part. I just took down the tank that held the last batch of unsucessful cuttle eggs...Now if I could just convinve the wife to let me convert her "nemo tank" to cuttles....

Here are the latest pictures of Scrunchy and Cuddly. Baby A was being shy...

Attachments

• conv_289160.jpg
    conv_289160.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_289161.jpg
    conv_289161.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 68

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back