Trinity O. bimaculoides

Lmecher;180567 said:
Hi Sabrina,
Looks like hydriod jellyfish to me.
Glad to see Trinity is doing well. Hope you and your family are enjoying the summer. :smile:

Edit: the photo is from May? Wow, I need to to check in more often.

Yeah its from May! Lol you really do need to stop by more often, though I find it difficult to do so often myself.

Lately I have noticed that Trinity seems different, either bored or something else. I want to buy toys for her but with my son thinking all baby toys are for him :biggrin2: it makes it a little difficult.

If any one has any non baby toy "toy" ideas please let me know.

You could go to one of those machines like a gumball machine, that have toys in the little containers, and use the containers. They float, and you could fit a crab in one. Ive never tried it but just a thought...

My bimacs have never shown much interest in objects I put into the tank, unless they might have food in them. I think chasing live food is the ultimate "enrichment" for a bimac (octopus in general?), so anything that they must work at a little to get food out of would probably be interesting to them. (Maybe leave your car keys and a Red Lobster gift card out where she can see them and see what happens)

Joe-Ceph;181338 said:
My bimacs have never shown much interest in objects I put into the tank, unless they might have food in them. I think chasing live food is the ultimate "enrichment" for a bimac (octopus in general?), so anything that they must work at a little to get food out of would probably be interesting to them. (Maybe leave your car keys and a Red Lobster gift card out where she can see them and see what happens)

:lol: I wonder if that will make her crazy.

I noticed that with Isis. She was only interested in toys if food was attached. After a while she stopped going after the shrimp because it was work but would eat the shrimp if I just handed it to her lol LAZY OCTOPUS! :roflmao:

LOL,
Diego is the first octo I have had that I think NEEDS entertainment as he seems to enjoy disassembling his tank. The rocks in that thank have been glued down since my first octopus (at the time we thought it might be necessary) and it has remained that way for 5 years worth of residents. Diego seems to think it needs rearranging and has managed to remove a pipe cap (fortunately we plugged it with glue before capping it so the return water does not squirt up thorugh it with the cap off), unglued virtually all the rock work and rearranged several rather large rocks. He has left the primary den in tact but just about every other rock has been relocated. He does not get much hunting time though since anything live in the tank is not live long.

Diego sounds quite a bit like my Bimac of some years ago. She also needed to be entertained.

I put really nice live rock in her tank. At great effort I bought several large coral branches from Tonga, and placed them upright in her tank. She didn't like that, and pulled them all down. She did a lot of subsequent rearranging, some of which was shoving the rocks of her den to make it larger as she grew.

She liked for me to play with her, and the signal that she wanted to play was suckering onto the front wall of her tank and waiting. She developed a whole little ritual of hand play. She did't like Legos or other toys, but she did have possessions in her den. She slept with her arm around a little bottle that had some sand and a tiny shell in it.

Nancy

Nancy

Here are some new pictures of Trinity that I took today. I added a power head to the tank because I noticed some red slime starting to grow. I am not yet sure if she objects or approves but she has been out and about since I put it in.

The power head is a K4 1200 gph flow... I was worried that it would be to much but with it pointed up towards the top of the over flow it seems to be working out ok.

Attachments

• conv_298619.jpg
    conv_298619.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
  • conv_298620.jpg
    conv_298620.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
  • conv_298621.jpg
    conv_298621.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 114
Here are some new pictures of Trinity that I took today. I added a power head to the tank because I noticed some red slime starting to grow. I am not yet sure if she objects or approves but she has been out and about since I put it in.

The power head is a K4 1200 gph flow... I was worried that it would be to much but with it pointed up towards the top of the over flow it seems to be working out ok.

Attachments

• conv_298622.jpg
    conv_298622.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
  • conv_298624.jpg
    conv_298624.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 119
  • conv_298623.jpg
    conv_298623.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 146
GAH!!!!!!!!

My husband!!! :mad:

My husband was annoyed by my chiller today! So much so that he unpluged it so that he would be able to hear the tv instead of simply turning it UP!

Now at the time he unplugged the chiller it was 70 degrees in the house but HE DIDNT TELL ME! I turned the A/C up to 75 in the house when I got home from church at 11:30

So I notice that Trinity is far more active than she has been in the last few weeks and he and I were both wondering why, until he tells me OH! Plug the chiller back in plug the chiller back in! The tank was 76 degrees when I found it. Up from 68 this morning.

How bad is this?

I am hoping that because it is common for these animals to be caught in tide pools that this type of temp swing wont be damning.

I have the temp coming down to 73 degrees just to get it closer to the norm. Then tomorrow I will bring it down by one degree a day until its back at 68.

He feels really bad, and has promised NOT to mess with the tanks again.

Anyone have any input? Advice?

I wouldn't be too concerned. Even though a temp swing like that is not good, its not 'damning' as you put it. I've had issues where my GPO exhibit spiked and quickly cooled and the animals were just fine. I just wouldn't make it a regular occurance lol.

I catch bimacs in tidepools, and I can tell you that it is not uncommon for a tide pool to sit in the sun for many hours and heat up (well above 76 degrees), only to be cooled off in a few seconds, or minutes, when a surge of cold water finally floods the stranded pool. Bimacs are built for this, and can handle it as easily as a jeep can handle a speed bump. I'd worry more about any animals you might have in your tank that live in deeper water.

For what it's worth:
I built a special sound deadening, but still ventilated, stand for my tank, because I didn't want my chiller to make noise in my living room. The first thing I noticed was that JBJ Arctica chillers are so quiet, that I didn't need to go to all that trouble. For anyone who does have a noisy chiller (and/or pump(s)), it's not that hard to make the stand sound-proof. Such a stand can easily reduce noise by 80-90 percent, and still supply the chiller with plenty of air to cool it, the cost is that it uses up a lot of space inside the stand (or behind it if you retrofit an existing stand). I won't get into it here in detail, but the basic idea is that sound doesn't travel well through ducts with 180 degree turns in them, but air does (with a little help from a fan). I built "baffles" into my tank stand, like people put into sumps to trap bubbles only wider, and glued 1/2" carpet padding to the walls of these baffles. I installed a small window fan that draws air into the stand through one set of baffles, pushes it through the chiller, past the external Iwaki pump, and out through another set of baffles. Then I made sure that the stand was otherwise completely sealed, and that noting vibrated against any part of the stand. My first chiller was extremely loud, and such a set-up reduced it to a whisper. If anybody is interested I can write it up and post an article, with all the details, but it's probably easier to just growl at your husband if he ever tries to unplug your chiller again :smile:

Thank you both for the replies! It was very comforting to read them.

I was very upset with him and he felt just awful about it. I didnt even yell at him. I couldnt, because if I did, I wouldnt have stopped and... it was an accident that he has TOTALLY learned from.

The thing that REALLY stuck in my crawl about it is I offered to move the tank to another location so the chiller wouldnt be right behind him. :roll: He said no.

The bat star has been out and about the whole time and moving through out the whole tank looking for food, so I dont think there is a problem there. I hardly ever see the seastars except for arms here and there. I did see Trinity this morning so I think everything will work out fine thank God.

WHEW I was almost panicked for a while there.

Trinity passed away some time over the last 2 days. She had been hiding pretty regularly for the past month give or take a week, only coming out when I would poke her den or try to feed her but miss and instead feeding the sea star. I had her for just under 8 months.

I think I am going to take a brake from octopuses for a while. I love them very much but I feel like making a change. Seahorses maybe. IDK.

RIP Trinity.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back