Trinity O. bimaculoides

Trinity is doing really well. I did a water change this morning while she was out and she seems to dislike or at least be VERY interested in the hose I use. I was a little concerned that she would hurt herself because of the suction of the hose (she would block the hole with her webbing and I could see she didnt care for it to much) but she just kept attacking it as though it were something to be conquered :lol: Of course I hadnt feed her for a few days and I could tell she was hungry. If I touch the glass with my finger she reaches out. While I would like to say this is because she likes me, I am almost certain that is not the case :biggrin2:. She has NO PROBLEM whatsoever taking food from my hand, or even trying to grab my hand looking for a little snack. All in all things are going very well.

Trinity is doing well... Its funny, Trinity is out almost all day and Mystique is out almost all night :biggrin2:. Here are some picture updates. Every time I stick my hand in the tank she is right there and man does she want it. So I had started wearing fishing gloves so she could grab me but not bite me. She had such a good grip on the glove that I had to take it off and leave it with her.

I have also noticed some little feather duster thingys on the glass from time to time... I hope the picture shows it clear enough... Does anyone here know what this might be? It doesnt look like tiny aptasia (I have seen many of these before so I think I know the difference) Ideas would be great.

Attachments

• conv_298303.jpg
    conv_298303.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
  • conv_298304.jpg
    conv_298304.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 97
  • conv_298305.jpg
    conv_298305.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 105
  • conv_298306.jpg
    conv_298306.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 111
Trinity is still doing well. Shes a bit aggressive and not much for handling... though I could handle her I just wouldnt be able to get my hand back. I play with her some times. We play catch the tooth brush lol. I scrub the rocks with the toothbrush and she tries to sneak up and pounce on it. I then, move to another rock and she tries again. If I am not careful she will get my arm and try to climb out of the tank. Its great fun. Bimacs are the octopus of choice for me. She is great fun.

Diego and I have weekly arguments over the cleaning equipment but he is getting somewhat better about letting me clean the tank. On the other hand, he is most unhappy if we are late with dinner or try skipping a meal and will purposefully squirt water at the top of the tank and put his arms over the top ledge when we finally do come to feed him :biggrin2: He is still a little grabby at other times but does not apply full force (so I don't worry about my fingers being pulled out of joint any more).

My full grown bimac likes to play that "game" too. He tries to pull my hand in and take it back to his den (to eat later I suppose). He pulls hard enough that if I pull back, I lift the 16"x16"x16" pile of granite rocks (epoxied together) in his tank. I only need to clean the inside of the glass every few weeks, due to the low light, but I can only get away with it after I feed him, while he's busy with his prize, and willing to ignore the magnetic cleaner (mostly). My "baby" bimac (now about 10" long) will squirt the top of the tank. I don't know if it's to get my attention, just for fun, or if he's thumbing his nose at me. I let my three year old "touch" the adult bimac, but I've never let the bimac get a good grip on his hand, because I think the bimac could pull harder than my son could pull back, and it could freak him out. It's a little spooky to think about how strong a big GPO would be in the wild if a diver pissed it off enough.

Diego only seems to squirt when he is POed. I added a few notes about his behavior to his thread.

Neal mentioned the other day that even those of us familiar with octopuses would likely be intimidated if even a medium sized animal decided to surprise a snorkeler/diver by latching on. Not long ago there was a video of a good sized octopus that sat on a snoreler's bare shoulder for quite some time. It never bit him but stayed attached for no obvious reason and then swam off. I would hope I would be as calm but I don't know. The only one I have seen in the water finally let me try to take pictures but never showed an interest in investigating me.

Trinity does the same thing as Diego. I only feed her every 2 or 3 days and if its been on the longer side (3 days) and I am a little slow she will squirt and paw the sides/rim of the tank. It never ceases to amaze me how funny I think it is when she does that. I am always laughing when she squirts me which means I dont notice that shes about to grab me. If I am not careful she will grab me and try to pull me to her den. It tends to take a more than a little coaxing to get her to let me go. When I show up promptly for feedings she just grabs the food and then goes to hide.

It’s been a while since an update and something funny happened the other day so I thought I would post.

Trinity is doing really well. She hangs on the walls and watches us constantly. My husband is convinced she is studying us for some well-organized octopus warfare :roflmao:.

All things are going pretty well we just have to be careful about the lid because she is always interested in grabbing or getting at me my husband or anyone else who dare enter her "realm" (realm is defined as ANY area within 1 foot of her tank) :biggrin2:.

The other day I was pouring water in to top off and my husband (in order to make room for something else) moved my chiller in front of the stand doors so I couldn’t just open and top off. I decided to just pour it into the top of the tank and be done with it. Apparently Trinity wanted to play because while she had been hiding, the second there was a disturbance in the water she was out and on the glass almost instantly. As I am pouring the water in the top, outcome arms with interest. She had my hand with one arm (the one holding the jug of water) the water container with another arm, and the 3 others on the outside of the canopy right near the edge! :biggrin2: I swear, I know it’s a mess, but I LOVE when they spray you with their water cannons. She sat there holding onto everything (me included) and sprayed me my floor and everything else in her path for a solid 30 seconds. My husband and son were watching and I'm just standing there laughing uncontrollably... it was a blast!

Man I love octopuses.

It’s been a while since an update and something funny happened the other day so I thought I would post.

Trinity is doing really well. She hangs on the walls and watches us constantly. My husband is convinced she is studying us for some well-organized octopus warfare :roflmao:.

All things are going pretty well we just have to be careful about the lid because she is always interested in grabbing or getting at me my husband or anyone else who dare enter her "realm" (realm is defined as ANY area within 1 foot of her tank) :biggrin2:.

The other day I was pouring water in to top off and my husband (in order to make room for something else) moved my chiller in front of the stand doors so I couldn’t just open and top off. I decided to just pour it into the top of the tank and be done with it. Apparently Trinity wanted to play because while she had been hiding, the second there was a disturbance in the water she was out and on the glass almost instantly. As I am pouring the water in the top, outcome arms with interest. She had my hand with one arm (the one holding the jug of water) the water container with another arm, and the 3 others on the outside of the canopy right near the edge! :biggrin2: I swear, I know it’s a mess, but I LOVE when they spray you with their water cannons. She sat there holding onto everything (me included) and sprayed me my floor and everything else in her path for a solid 30 seconds. My husband and son were watching and I'm just standing there laughing uncontrollably... it was a blast!

Man I love octopuses.

I always wonder what the octopus is thinking when they squirt me. Is it "woo hoo, got'ch buddy" or something closer to "die! die!, evil bipedal overlord"? Is it the octopus version of a high-five, or giving me the finger? I'll just decide it's the more friendly version, but I know it could go either way.

With other species, being squirted has been unquestionably an irate action, demanding the human to "back off", however, Diego seems to do this for fun and is getting better and better with his aim and distance.

SabrinaR;177139 said:
I have also noticed some little feather duster thingys on the glass from time to time... I hope the picture shows it clear enough... Does anyone here know what this might be? It doesnt look like tiny aptasia (I have seen many of these before so I think I know the difference) Ideas would be great.

Hi Sabrina,
Looks like hydriod jellyfish to me.
Glad to see Trinity is doing well. Hope you and your family are enjoying the summer. :smile:

Edit: the photo is from May? Wow, I need to to check in more often.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back