Trinity O. bimaculoides

I got my bimac from Joe-Ceph today! Thank you Conrad! He send some goodies too! A few sea stars and some snails... I have a COLD WATER TANK! Not just and octopus! YAY!

Ok sorry I will calm down now. I am just thrilled with having him do this for me.

Here are some pics...

Trinity006.jpg

Trinity005.jpg

Trinity003.jpg

Trinity002.jpg

Trinity007.jpg

:welcome: Little one! Grats on your new addition! Sure is a looker! Your making me jealous! I can't wait for my tank to cycle.

Any thoughts on names? I'm scratching my head thinking on future names to choose from. We need to have a thread for Octo name suggestions. lol

Very nice! :welcome: Trinity! You have 3? My my, someone's been busy!
How lucky are you? I am curious about her size too, she looks tiny. Pretty cushion star. You must have your hand full. (in a good way)
Can't believe how much has happened in the few days I was absent :-/

QueenB;173993 said:
Lovely name. Any idea on age? Measurements? She's beautiful!

Shes actually quite small compared Isis my other bimac. I would say her mantel is about the size of of a kiwi only not as round.
Joe-Ceph catches his octopuses all the time and says that these are small (babies) so I will hopefully have her for a while. The longest I have been able to keep an octopus is 3 months. So I pray she lives at least a good while.

Lmecher;174019 said:
Very nice! :welcome: Trinity! You have 3? My my, someone's been busy!
How lucky are you? I am curious about her size too, she looks tiny. Pretty cushion star. You must have your hand full. (in a good way)
Can't believe how much has happened in the few days I was absent :-/

:biggrin2: I have been quite busy. And yes I have 3. If Conrad had had his way I would have had 4! :lol: Of course I was tempted but my 5th tank wont be set up for some time and I would like it to be set up slowly with no rush involved. Right now Baby is still hiding. I am worried that she will be nocturnal. I am not up at 3 am so seeing her would be difficult. I am going to go pick up some live shrimp at the bait shop soon. Both Baby and Trinity, have eaten while acclimating so I wont worry for a few days.

I havent really been posting a lot about tanks and what not lately so its easy that you wouldnt have known whats going on. I do have my hands full :biggrin2: in a good way. I love having multiples.

She was opening and eating small live muscles (.5 - .75"), but the last one she had was about four days ago. I don't feed bimacs shrimp very often, because I think they prefer scallop, and in the tiny quantities an octopus eats, the price difference is negligible. The trick is to find a place that sells loose scallop meat, so that you can buy two or three ounces at a time, instead of a big package. Where I live, Costco sells loose seafood on Fridays and Saturdays.
I kept a local shrimp with a bimac, and it was very hard for the bimac to catch the shrimp (it took almost a year). I don't think they eat shrimp much in the wild, and I'm not sure how good a food source it is, especially farmed shrimp. I'm sure it's good, but I suspect scallop is better.

Don't worry about it being nocturnal. It'll learn to associate you with food and come out when you're around. Remember, it just came from a tide pool, where it pays for little animals to stay hidden, so it'll take a little while for those street smarts to wear off. Once it feels safe it'll come out when you're around, just to keep an eye on you.

Wow, congrats - Trinity is beautiful! I'm so jealous - you can actually SEE your bimac without a magnifying glass. LOL Hopefully if I can keep my little buggers alive I will be able to, too.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Sue

So how are all of your tank additions doing? Have you been able to get Trinity to take shrimp or scallop off a skewer? The bat star will eat algae if you have it, and you can supplement that with little pieces of shrimp, or any seafood (every five days or so, about the size of a small grape). Increase feeding if the bat star seems to get slimmer, or starts attacking things it normally leaves alone (I lost a few strawberry anemone to a bat start until before I learned to feed them enough) but try to keep feeding minimal. The brittle stars will look for scraps on the sand. I don't know if you need to add food for them. What temp are you keeping the tank at?

They all seem to be doing well. I put frozen mysids in the tank to make sure there was plenty of food for them. I keep the tank at 65 degrees. I havent seen much of Trinity. I saw her for a little while when I put her in the tank, then a little bit (10 min at a time) each day. Though she was still under rocks, she just had her eyes peaking out. She has eaten 2 crabs since I got her so I am glad to say she is doing well.

I will start interaction either today or tomorrow, when ever I see her next.

Wish me luck.

I started trying to interact with Trinity. Though she wasnt very interested. I put some clam meat on a tube and moved it just above her. She grabbed at it at first but the sea stars were far more interested in it then she was. I did this for about 5 min and then just let her be. She didnt hid but she wasnt very interested. I will try a shrimp next time. Maybe I will get a better response.

If you are worried about Trinity going too long without eating, I think your best bet is a small piece of scallop meat on a skewer. There's something about scallops and bimacs. I know she will eat small live muscles, at least if she has privacy and feels secure. If the muscle is larger than 1", then you should probably open it a little (cut through the white muscle tissue that holds the two shells together). It generally takes a few days before new octos start eating, but if she doesn't take food soon, I think the above suggestions will be your best bet.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back