TONMOCON IV - 2011 - Planning Stage

Yep, you just show up as-is. I don't recall anyone bringing their ceph (not sure how they'd pull that off :hmm:). The way it usually works is that folks start showing up on Friday afternoon / evening and we typically meet at a bar and share a few drinks... and maybe a few more :smile:. Saturday we stumble out of our hotel room and maybe coordinate breakfast together, then go to an auditorium-type room for a day full of presentations. Folks present powerpoint slides on ceph care, art, literature, and scientific study. The talks are quite substantial. I've never seen a segment that wasn't chock-full of learning for me. Squid dissections, a visit from Cthulhu, cuttle car racing, etc. make each TONMOCON unique. We break for lunch, and later in the afternoon we go our own ways, get ready, and meet up for dinner and... well, some drinks. Typically on Sunday more clusters of folks will have breakfast together and then it's off to an aquarium.

That's been the M.O. for TONMOCONs I - III. Check this link for details on TONMOCONs of the past. We'll see what IV brings!

Tony gave a good answer, but I think there are some smaller things that would be fun to bring.

Sure there are things you can bring (although you don't have to bring anything) - a photobook of your octopus is interesting for all. Some people have ceph crafts to bring. I brought some octopus jewelery that I designed and my husband made - it can be a show and tell, even if what you bring isn't officially exhibited. Eveyone is very friendly. And at Sarasota, there was the infamous white lightning!

Octopuses don't travel well, which is why they stay home.

Nancy

What's the turn out usually like ay these conventions? Also will there be itineraries? My wife and I will be staying with family about an hours drive from DC so we won't have to pay for a hotel and it would be nice to have a timed schedule so we can commute easily without missing things or arriving late.

We would love to go but Garrett is in school and I am teaching. Is there going to be a webcast or whatever there was last time so those of us who cannot attend can be "in on the action too". We will be sad that we cannot meet some of the people who have encouraged Garrett in his constant pursuit of ceph knowledge.

Steve O'Shea;165333 said:
Lord have mercy!

Depending, on whether I drive (actually a hour longer than Sarasota, but with worthwhile stops along the way) and the ample planning time, I could bring a full arsenal.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back