TONMOCON IV - 2011 - Planning Stage

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Hi everyone! Thanks for your patience as we considered what city we would target for TONMOCON IV in 2011.

With thanks to davelin315 and WAMAS, we are targeting the Washington, D.C. area for TONMOCON IV, probably in the October 2011 timeframe.

Many more details will be worked out in the months ahead, but I wanted to let you know our target destination and timing.

Staff member and International Liaison OB is hereby summoned to assist with some of the planning and brainstorming; I'll follow up in PM, Olaf! :smile:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Sir, yes Sir!

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Rather than DC proper, look in the surrounding cities. DC hotels tend to be more expensive, and with the great metro system people can easily get into the Mall areas for the museums. Check out Arlington and Bethesda.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Thanks sorseress - we do understand that the travel & location logistics could be tricky and that is part of the discussion. It is indeed planned for the D.C. "area" which may or may not mean D.C. proper for parts or all of the events we're beginning to kick around. Stay tuned!

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Registered
Oooo, that sounds very promising for me and my family! My dad has been waiting for the girls to old enough to appreciate D.C., so this could work very nicely for us!

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Ohhh, I forgot about the train! We looked into trying to use Amtrak once to send my son to Tampa for a week and found that you had to go to DC from Atlanta to get there. Using it to actually go to DC might be a fun experience.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I highly recommend it! i have done Amtrak from FL to DC and it was a blast. I upgraded to first class for an extra few bucks it was great.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I did the Atlanta to DC train trip in elementary school and I took a train one other time to go to camp and then one in London in more recent times. I don't remember much about the first two but enjoyed the London adventure.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Come hurry home :wink:

ckeiser

GPO
Supporter
Damn, right as I move from Pennsylvania to Georgia! I hope I can still make it...

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Ckeiser,
We expect to drive so if you can get to Gainesville, we can carpool the rest of the way. The train sounded interesting until we found that it costs as much to take the train as to fly and is several hours more than driving.

Members online