The Octopus and The Military

"there are more things under heaven and earth, Horatio"....hmmm...could be possible, though. That would certainly scare the bejesus out of you !
Greg

There are reports of attacks on troops in WWII but that is the first one I've seen with good details.

Anyway on another note DARPA are looking basing new weapons on animals inclduing:

(Octo)Pie in the sky camouflage

According to the agency's 2003 strategic plan, "DARPA-supported researchers are studying how geckos climb walls and how an octopus hides to find new approaches to locomotion and highly adaptive camouflage. The idea is to let nature be a guide toward better engineering." Imagine the ink-squirting, suction-cup-covered frogman of the future!

DARPA’s Wild Kingdom

Mother Jones .com? Davey's mum?

Emps

Thanks for the link Emperor, very interesting reading, and somewhat scary!

I really have doubts about these apocryphal tales of downed airmen seized by giant squid and dragged to their doom whilst floating in liferafts adrift for days. It would be interesting to read eyewitness testimony, though. But why should a giant squid exhibit this behaviour? The beak is no stronger than hard rubber, certainly not capable of biting through bone, and the oesophagus is only about 1cm in diameter, I believe. In short, the animal would be utterly incapable of dismembering and digesting a human, even if it wanted to (which it wouldn't) let alone the fact that it rarely surfaces and is probably a poor swimmer. :smile:

Anyway, here's photographic evidence of the tale I posted above of the squid spotted during the Dieppe landings. (I should not really do this as that story is at least plausible, even if very unlikely, and this is supposed to be a sensible thread. Could not resist, sorry the pic isn't that good).

stuka2.jpg

'The Flying Octopus': The first helicopter?

Throughout much of 1921 and 1922, the project was shrouded in secrecy, but on December 18,1922, Dr. George de Bothezat's assistants rolled out the "Flying Octopus" for its first test at McCook Field, near Dayton, Ohio, observed closely by de Bothezat and curious onlookers in and on top of the experimental craft's hangar.

Full article:

http://www.afa.org/magazine/1990/1090octopus.asp

Emps

started another ceph based torpedoe boat...the "Warden " class coastal patrol boat (named in honour of our esteemed member, Colin, in light of his new job ) a modified modern pt boat...look at the size difference from a ww2 schnellboot to this monster ! (yep, they are the same scale)

Greg,

Huzzah! Does this mean the Tintenfisch will someday be slipping down the quay?

I'm heartened to see that you follow the correct procedure for anchoring a spool of blue masking tape. :wink:

Yours truly,

Clem

hehehe...works every time!
Yep...Shanlyn says I look like a kid in a candy store...this first one will be built straight-from-the box, conversion in the next one or two ( I have three on order)...so yes, the lovely Titenfisch will certainly sail!
greg

Hello Greg,

Revell Germany must love you.

The diorama-building potential is vast: boot vs. Short Sunderland, boot vs. Catalina, boot vs Liberator. Or, more peaceably, boot linking up with Blohm und Voss flying boot. The Bremen shipyard, the concrete pens of France...the possibilities are actually hurting my brain. Must medicate.

:beer:

Clem

Oh trust me...Shanlyn turned a pasty grey colour when the 1.5' x 3.5' box showed up at the door...she knows what's coming!
Hmmm...I like the idea of the flying boat especially...I was also kicking around buying a 1/72 Flower class corvette (matchbox) just to put on the wall next to the sub...ideas, ideas...
I'll join you!
:cheers:

Cool ! I will have to run that one by the missus when she wakes up (still treading lightly after the uboat purchases...hehe)
Hoping to get started on the first one next week...yeeha! :wine:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back