The Octopus and The Military

Greg,

Are you building your "Tintenfisch" from an injection-molded or resin kit, or will it be scratchbuilt from plans?

Can't wait to see how it comes together.

Clem

revell germany just came out with a 1/72nd scale uboat that is convertible to the milk-ship...they keep on telling me they will be shipping soon...but...
Scale shipyard has large fiberglass hulls available, but the amount of work needed to modify them would be massive, depending on the delivery date for the injection from germany, though, I may have to use it!!!
Will keep allyall posted...
Greg

still waiting on the 1/72 from germany...the 1/48 hull is 300. , which puts it out of the budget when completed...bummer.
Lots of changes to do to the hull when it arrives also...yikes.
For those of you that are interested:
http://www.scaleshipyard.com
Greg

Greg,

I've now seen some photos of a test-shot that Revell Germany showed to a Hamburg modeling club, and the 1/72 boat looks very fine.

Operation Octopus was a joint-effort between the Belgian and Dutch navies to police the Persian Gulf for mines. The operation ran from September 1987 to June 1988. I'm looking to see if a nifty patch or emblem was drawn up. An octopus would make an excellent minesweeping mascot.

Clem

Hey, Phil and Colin :
I keep on reading about a device used by HMS destroyers of all classes..."squids" but no data on what the heck it is. Seems to be anti-submarine, but can't seem to find any hard reference to it on this side of the pond...any ideas over there???
Greg

Hi Greg,

I think you maybe thinking of this, the Squid Mortar.

This was an anti-submarine system firing six mortars ahead of the ship. Versions seemed to be used from the early fifties to early seventies as far as I can tell.

That's gotta be it ! Thanks Phil! I have this reference book on destroyers, and it mentions a lot of weapons without any facts (like, I am already supposed to know what it is) frustrating!
I also like the next page...the 3" 50 guns...wow!
Greg

Greg & Phil,

Squid Mortar! I love it, but not as much as I love the Squid Handling Room.

Click here and scroll down. There's a nifty Regia Aeronatutica Nieuport biplane with a black octopus on the side. I've looked in vain for photographs. Maybe you guys will have better luck.

:sink:

Clem

"chuckle" about the squid handling room...I guess that is where S.O'S. would be on a destroyer, eh? :lol:
Way cool #29...I have never seen that pattern before...very interesting!!!
Still no word on the verdamnt sub...I wonder if it was all just a dream? :x
Greg

Started a scratch-build last week...a 1946 Danish river/coastal patrol boat...here is a thumbnail sketch for the beastie:
Still no word on the sub. I am about to give up!
Greg

Greg,

:notworth:

Your S-boat is a beauty. I'd dare to ask how you achieved the metallic finish on those torpedoes, but I want to live.

download.php

"Like an Octo, but O-ho!" is my riff on the emblem worn by aircraft of the Luftwaffe's Jagdgeschwader 400, operators of one of WWII's most radical weapons: the rocket-powered Messerschmitt Me-163 Komet interceptor. The original Jg 400 emblem is shown below, photographed on a replica Me-163b displayed at the Planes of Fame Museum, in Chino, California.

download.php

I Photoshopped the new Geschwaderzeichen onto an old photograph of a pre-production Me-163, with test pilot Rudy Opitz settling into the cockpit. Click here to see the result, and to see just how flea-like the Komet really was.

Clem

That kicks rear end, Clem!!! Very great take off...(pardon the pun) what an interesting rocket plane that was...must have been one heck of a ride! Have you seen the "huckbein"? (could be sic, it has been a while) Those wacky germans!
I use testor's metalizer finishes for most of my metalwork on plastic...that and metal foils...love that gleam!
Greg

OK, not an image but an incident.

Just unearthed this interesting tale of a giant squid that was reported to have been hit by fire from a Ju.87 Stuka during the abortive Dieppe landing on 19th August 1942. Quote from Dr. Frederick A. Aldrich:

On that eventful day one of the evacuees, Private Howard Phillips of the South Saskatchewan Regiment, was on board a British destroyer, the HMS Calpe, half a mile into the Channel. He was one of those forced to remain above deck as the ship was already filled to capacity with rescued men below. He was in an opportune location to see what was to follow. Mr. Phillips communicated to me the incidence of a giant squid surfacing after being struck by the fire from one of the dive bombers. He wrote, "At that time I was offshore of Pourville, France. There was a huge thrashing of water and a giant tentacle rose, writhing and splashing after obviously being hit. I can verify to about 25 feet being out of the water and at least 10 inches across, but of course [it was] hard to judge during the trauma of the time."

Full article available here: http://www.mun.ca/sgs/science/nov2990.html

I know what you are thinking, same as myself....but just possibly, could it have happened?????

Phil

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back