The Octopus and The Military

OP sent this over to me this morning...
download.php

The following image is a rare picture of the 'Sherman Octopus'.

This was a late WW2 British Sherman tank adaption bridging vehicle with fore and aft ramps designed to be driven into ditches or rivers to be spanned. This was a testbed vehicle and was not used in combat. Similar to the 'Sherman Ark' but with a greater span there were two prototype designs made, one with lattice ramps and one with box girder sections.

In the event the British Churchill tank was chosen for the role of bridging vehicle probably because it was a longer vehicle (Churchill Ark), but the Sherman Arks and Octopuses were used for training and trials.

In this image the first Sherman Octopus, with girder ramps, is being crossed by a Churchill VII.

ShermanOctopus.png

Interesting adaptation...I gather that the high profile of the sherman's hull lent itself to project?

That's a great find, Donnerboy and thankyou! Oh, and welcome too!

(I've been meaning to get around to restoring as many of images as I can, glad you've reminded me!).

Military Octo patches...

Just a follow up...

I did a little looking and found some more military octo patches that I thought I would share.

Attachments

• conv_289556.jpg
    conv_289556.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 117
  • conv_289557.jpg
    conv_289557.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 129
  • conv_289558.jpg
    conv_289558.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 123
Military Ceph patches...

I also found these.

The Kraken is a bit of a stretch. They took some liberties with him, and of course the Nautilus.

Attachments

• conv_289559.jpg
    conv_289559.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 131
  • conv_289560.jpg
    conv_289560.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 129
Donnerboy;78933 said:
Just a follow up...

I did a little looking and found some more military octo patches that I thought I would share.

Holy junk! An octopus with lightning bolts - why didn't I think of that? I think I smell a new Thickets shirt coming on.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back