• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Supernoob's 250 gallon tank buildout! Help!

Wow! I didn't think of that at all. My neighbors couldn't believe I was going through the trouble to return the eel to it's home. They suggested that I should just kill and cook it or just throw it in the dumpster! Not really my style. I didn't realize that it could be dangerous to the environment. LFS around here have no interest in that species of eel, so i didn't have alot of options that were eel friendly. I guess I'll just use a little more forethought before I take anymore creatures home with me.

As for the snail being lunch...it is HUGE! The shell is bigger than my fist and the snail itself is close to a foot long and five inches wide when it's fully expanded. It's super cool. It buries itself in the sand during the day and cruises all over the place at night. It's surprisingly fast too.

Yeah, That and an number of other things that we think are the "right" things to do turn out to be potentially disasterous. One remembered item of note was providing fresh water to sea lions :sad:. Not somthing I had the opportunity to do (and would have had I been in the member's shoes) but was posted by another member and a long explanation followed as to why this was dangerous for the animals. The water was not the problem (they need freshwater) but there dependence on humans providing it vs finding it for themselves/traveling where it was naturally available was.

I have an Asian market rescued conch that I keep in our largest tank (non-ceph, or much of anything else at the moment) but I would not put him in the the octos as conch is a natural food. HOWEVER, I have kept a cowrie with several octopuses (the same cowrie) with no problems. Joe-Ceph had a slime problem with one kept with a bimac and mine is used to warm water so he is no longer with an octo (moved Diego to the tank he inhabited and added a chiller) but I will put him in with another (or, more likely add a ceph to that tank) in the future. On the other hand, I have kept another favored snail creature (I can never remember its name) with several octopuses and it lived with Little Bit for at least 5 months before it "disappeared".

I would like to split your thread and start Julian's introduction as a journal. I can put a link back to his tank thread and a forward link to his journal. Let me know if this is OK

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back