• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Supernoob's 250 gallon tank buildout! Help!

From the pictures it looks as if the false wall provides a complete sump and return system without needing to drill any holes. I would hate to see such a nice tank destroyed, but you might want to look at removing it if you are planning on keeping such a large animal. These guys like to stretch out and explore so the more space the happier the animal. You may be able to save some of the materials and move the false wall to the very end of the tank cutting off a foot or so and still have an internal sump if that's what you fancy. This would give you the full width of the tank and you would only loose a little off of the end.

The tank has two symmetrical filter systems on each side and they both feed into the central chamber which is where the water pumps back in. Maybe I could just remove one side?

Before you start cutting and removing things, be sure that you know exactly how you're going to plumb this tank and where you're getting your flow from. The more flow the better and you will need a large pump to push the full distance of a tank that size. I know because I have a 250 my self the same dimensions. You can use a small recirculation pump and then multiple power heads, but then it makes it more dificult to octopus proof because of the wires hanging out of the top of the tank. Just plan this out and know exactly how you want to work this before doing something to the tank that you cannot undo.

Well the problem is not having a strong enough pump to push the water back out, but also having enough flow going back into the sump or filter area that the tank does not flood and your sump/filter does not run dry. You have to match your pump to the amount of water that can be removed before it floods/drains.

I don't think i would alter the tank if I were you. especially if it was a setup that was working before....as the saying goes: don't fix it if it aint broke... As for size I think it should be OK, I don't think taking it apart is worth the few inches of width.

There are 3 submersible rio 1200's in the pump chamber. Will that generate enough flow?
are the three rio pumps what the tank was running with before? if so then they probably have the proper flow rate.

Yeah that is what it came with. The tank can't flood because everything is internal. I'm wondering though if I should use bio balls in the back or just a skimmer or both.

IMO, use live rock in the tank and lots of charcoal in the back. You will have to examine how the two side units flow to the central one to get the best use (active rather than passive) use of the charcoal. In my nano, I keep a particulate filter under the charcoal placed between the input and flow to the return chamber. This does not require anything fancy, just poly or a filter sock set so the water must pass through it to get to the return section and a bag of charcoal filling the chamber over the top of the filter material. Finding a nicely sized, easy to open (DO NOT get drawstring closure bags) bag for the charcoal can be a bit tricky so try a couple of different styles before buying a spare set (I rinse my charcoal weekly but keep a spare filled bag to swap while changing the water then replace both the current and the spare once every month or two). Charcoal moved so getting a bag out of the back section can be difficult/messy if the bag is too large. I like the aluminum zipper closures the best, velcro eventually rots in saltwater.

CaptFish;181388 said:
As for size I think it should be OK, I don't think taking it apart is worth the few inches of width.

O. Cyanea is one of the larger species, similar to O. Vulgaris, and can reach arm lengths of 30 inches or so. I think with this species every inch counts. A full grown animal might find it a bit cramped. This tank would be great as is for a smaller species if you want to keep it as is, but I personally would change it if you have your heart set on O. Cyanea. My tank is 96Lx25Hx24W and I use an over flow box on the very end at the very top to maximize internal space. Also with only 14.5 inches you have the issue of putting things in the tank that will cause you to have even less ineternal space. I believe there was another person on here who had collected three adults and kept them in a large 15 foot diameter cyclinder if I remember correctly. From everything I have read and heard about this species they love to roam and explore. So again I reiterate the need for more space.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back