• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Supernoob's 250 gallon tank buildout! Help!

Most animals you put in with an octopus will either eat the octopus or be eaten themselves. That being said, when using live crustaceans for food you will have to pick up after your octopus as they do not eat everything and will leave bits and pieces around the tank to rot. As far as water changes you do not want to do any water changes until the tank has cycled. The more you do, the longer it will take to fully cycle. I used to use live food for my animals, but it was a hassle for me to clean up after then and I just used frozen foods that were already pealed or easy to peel after they were thawed. I'm sure I speak for the rest of TONMO when say we'd all love to see some pics/videos of your completed work.

aefdd883-4850-eb50.jpg

There is my tank everybody! I glued undergravel filters over the tank overflows to octoproof. Looks like this on each side.

aefdd883-49ac-3b52.jpg

Two cyclone 150 protein skimmers. One on each side.

aefdd883-4a45-05ff.jpg

I had a miniatus grouper and an undulated moray in there for awhile, but I returned the eel to the wild and traded the grouper to my LFS in preparation for my octopus. I wanted the tank to be used to large messy predators. I recently introduced a partridge tun that I found in Kaneohe bay while out torching one night. According to my research it poses no threat to octopus, it only eats sea cucumbers. It's a really cool creature though.

Looking GOOD. Most any mollusk is fine but remember that it may become lunch (and I would not want my cucumbers to be dinner for a snail :sad:). Keeping it fed might be problematic so watch it closely or you will have a gooey mess in the tank.

A caution about returning things to the wild. If you don't have an ocean flow through (usually only a few major aquariums have this kind of set up) with only local everything ever in the tank, it is unwise (and sometimes illegal) to return critters to the ocean once they have been in an aquarium. You can unwillingly spread protentially harmful bacteria that could have disasterous results to the ocean animals. The examples I know about were not caused by aquarists but in FL, conficated collections are never put back because of historic problems. The queen conch and the long spined urchin being two casualties of rapid bacteria spread.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back