Squid and Octopus spotting

Thanks, msamaki, for mentioning the grindylows in the HP/GOBLET OF FIRE film!

Interesting.... in one of the opening scenes, Harry, Hermione, the Weasleys, and the Diggorys are walking on the campgrounds surrounding the Quidditch Cup stadium, and pass by a performer juggling a plethora of "tentacled" objects whose airborne formation almost exactly prefigures that of the grindylows when they attack Harry en masse in the underwater scene. Certainly, this no mere coincidence, but rather a wonderful (albeit extremely subtle) cinematic touch by the director.

Which leads me to a perplexing question: When will the lake-dwelling Hogwarts Giant Squid finally put in a film appearance? So far, he/she has been mentioned or alluded to at least once in every one of the books, and I'm sure JKR must have a reason for that. I and some of the other members of the Hogwarts Local NYC discussion group fully expect our cephy comrade to play some sort of significant role in the upcoming seventh book.... maybe consuming what's left of You-Know-Who after Harry does him in? (Think Hook and the Crocodile in PETER PAN :twisted: ) But so far, no onscreen Architeuthis.

Is it possible that the teuthiform design of the grindylows was an hommage to the Giant Squid? I'd like to think so, as I know that JKR has a great deal of say in the cinematic interpretation of her books. But I still hope that somewhere in the final book -- and the next three films -- there is enough squiddage to keep us TONMO Potterphiles happy.

Resurfacing after Lo These Myriad Aeons,
THE BIOLUMINESCENT ONE

Octopus on "Dora the Explorer"

On the episode in which Boots has his special day, there is an octopus playing with yo-yo's and s/he gives one each to Dora and Boots...I watch way too much children's TV for someone without children...

Cheers, KRin

For all of you cooks out there...

Attachments

• conv_288624.jpg
    conv_288624.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 120
i think it was a few days ago on the show 'house' someone described a problem (tumor maybe? i wasnt paying attention) as an octopus wrapped around a body part...(internally)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back