• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Some questions.

Hi Briareus, from down here in Kiwi land!

If it ends up being impractical to have your own octopus would you consider volunteering/interning at your local aquarium? Not only would this get you close to a ceph (at no cost, bar time) you would get valuable experience and you can put it on your CV (resume). I know we love having volunteer help and on at least one occasion this has led to the volunteer getting a part time job with us (for actual money!!!!).

just a thought!

Jean

So the average water values are a no-go? That means I still need RO DI equipment in order to keep a ceph.:hmm:

Was considering sepia bandensis for a smaller, easier cephalopod to keep, but that seems to be out of reach as well.

Rather inconvenient to visit the local aquarium, or rather national aquarium; all the way opposite from where I live on a offshore island. :silenced:

If you have a local aquarium store, check to see if they sell either RO/DI freshwater. In the US, often local aquarium stores will sell water inexpensively (especially if you bring your own container). You may also be able to buy quality premixed but you will need fresh water for topping of in addition to saltwater for water changes. Hauling the water may still be problematic for you and you have to be aware that water changes are critical and cannot be put off.

DWhatley;189415 said:
If you have a local aquarium store, check to see if they sell either RO/DI freshwater. In the US, often local aquarium stores will sell water inexpensively (especially if you bring your own container). You may also be able to buy quality premixed but you will need fresh water for topping of in addition to saltwater for water changes. Hauling the water may still be problematic for you and you have to be aware that water changes are critical and cannot be put off.

Well, there's actually a water delivery service here from a fish farm, but that doesn't seem to make sense if it needed to be done daily. :hmm:

Considering. Just a question, why don't we simply boil the water and let it condense separately into another container. Wouldn't it then be also free of impurities?

As Alex mentions, freshwater top off is in small increments to account for evaporation so a 5 gallon container would last close to a month (depending on humidity and tank configuration) for that purpose. In addition to topping off with freshwater you will need to have saltwater to replace water you removed from the tank during cleaning. I remove 5 gallons each week and replace it with new, clean saltwater. Other people have somewhat different routines and the general rule of thumb is to end up changeing. Here is a video by Marine Depot (commercial equipment vendor in the US)that goes over water changes. There are several more write-ups if you search "saltwater changes aquarium" but you will note that all suggest 10%-15% water change weekly.

Can you buy distilled water cheaply where you shop for food? This is an alternative that would be acceptable and is more likely to be feasible for quantity (and something your parents may be able to help transport in day-to-day activities).

These options are all very much more feasible. I will have to make a trip to the supermarket to take a look.
At this point in time, are there any native species here that you may recommend into a 40 gallon tank or perhaps smaller tank if possible?

Sourcing an octopus is difficult anywhere and obtaining a particular species more so. There are a number of odd ball successes (ie not via internet ordering and not via local pet store) that are occasionally sucessful and you can try looking into these while you are preparing a tank.

1. Check local seafood markets/restaurants for live animals. In the states, these are not common and the one person attempting it was not able to get the animals to acclimate and survive. We believe the primary reason for the failure was the shipping process. If you have locally caught animals in live tanks, success may be possible. One member in Korea planned to try this but never posted if he completed the process.

2. If there is a fishing port nearby, aquaint yourself with some of the fishermen and ask if they get them as by-catch. If so, as if they would consider keeping one alive and selling it to you (often they are cut up as bait).

3. Ask at your local aquarium to see if they have a supplier that will sell to the public and what species they are aware of in the area.

The more typical methods are getting imports from a wholesaler through an aquarium supply store or an on-line vendor of live animals. Not knowing anything of the aquarium trade outside the US, I can't help with research suggestions but joining (either on-line or locally) an aquarium club that is in Singapore should help with some of the local methods.

Haven't been here for some time; but a recent trip to a series of fish farms has revealed a shop which brings in octopus on a fortnight basis.

I am clueless about what these octopus may be; but they are stored in plastic bags like those typically used for shipment; and are approximately the size of a ball with a 4 cm diameter when they are curled up. I was told that they came from Bali; which may coincide with the importation of what appears to be Antennarius commersons and peacock mantis shrimp.

Could these be abdopus aculeatus? What other possibilities are there?

I haven't purchased any of them; since I can't find a suitable source of feeder crabs; though the same shop provides a supply of various small crustaceans intended as pets.

Could these be abdopus aculeatus? What other possibilities are there?

Could very well be aculeatus, this is what we typically see coming out of bali. but it could be any number species in the Adopus complex.

Can you get some pictures of them?

How do these other abdopus fare in captivity? To be more specific; I found some very young Panulirus vesicolor, decorator crabs; and similar small sized crustaceans.

One of the specimens do look very similar to this, but I can't tell for certain how the arm length ratios are.

Pictures are probably impossible. I have neither the high quality camera, nor does the plastic bag desire to betray the laws of physics(lots of refraction and distortion going on).

How do these other abdopus fare in captivity?

Alright. The thing to remember is they are most likely full grown and often near the end of their life cycle. I would not expect to get more than three months out of one of these guys, average life of the Aculeatus by the time it reaches a persons home is only about two months.

Decorator crabs work for food, often they are a little expensive to be used but that's up to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back