Some pics...many more to come !

Gaetan P.

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
I hope everyone enjoyed the "Ban Bottom Trawling" Stickers. Sorry I wasn't there. LOoked like a hoot.

G

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Supporter
Reaction score
tonmo said:
Hmm... what kind of "irksome" pic do you have of me, might I ask? :goofysca:

Note that the footage was taken by Squidman's dad (I think it was his dad) before anything got started... there were no speakers speaking at the time! :smile:
NEE!

Must you be so proud that I have none?! Dappy eenglish, your mother was a hampster, and your father smelt of elder-berries! (I watched Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail recently. :razz: ) Now be quiet or I shall taunt you a second time. :lol:

CapnNemo

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Melissa said:
Here are a few more pictures from Monterey
His that a 'Hi My Name's Cthulhu' name badge that the Great Old One is wearing?

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
Cthulu didn't have the cash to register, but we couldn't say no when he asked for a nametag.

Melissa

Supporter
Reaction score
more MBARI pics

And the yellow underwater unmanned machines they build and send out.

The Navy man working on these described the levels of pressure they are built to withstand and what kind of filling is used to enable this.

Each has something along the lines of "this is not a weapon - please contact MBARI" with phone numbers and email addresses and urls to facilitate return. Last year, one was retrieved from Norway...

Attachments

Melissa

Supporter
Reaction score
MBARI tour pictures 3

Solar panels provide the energy used by some of the underwater equipment (not Ventana or Tiburon - they need too much).

Attachments

Melissa

Supporter
Reaction score
more from MBARI

Outside, the first group got a look at the Zephyr, an MBARI vessel. The later group left the hallowed halls just as the Ventana arrived at the dock upon a different boat.

The "arms" in the photo of Ventana hold large canisters and their "lids" for top and bottom. The jars they return with are essentially acrylic tubes with caps that are removed from top and bottom until the desired sample is within. Then the "arms" slide the top and bottom over the openings to secure whatever specimen.

Attachments

Melissa

Supporter
Reaction score
Last 3 pics of the Ventana

We had a closer look on board. Lights are necessary to see anything at the depth Ventana reaches, 1500 meters. The camera is adjustable, but as the people on board see everything on screen and without depth (not to mention while the object of interest is moving), focusing is difficult.

Attachments

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody got some decent pics for a caption competition or a 101 uses for Cthulu????

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Reaction score
Hey there! Is that cthulhu outfit normally residing in LA at Novas pizza/cafe??

I see it there when I visit and was told it was a handmade costume, so I figured it had to be the same one...

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that's the one. Ask Erich about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPrater

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak