Some pics...many more to come !

Another person I think we're missing is Shepmoon -- anyone get a pic of him? BTW, Shepmoon (if you're reading this thread), how was whale-watching on Sunday?

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! You caught me looking at my camera during one of the speakers...uh, uuuummm...........speaking? Speaking! Anyway, I would show my picture of you doing something similarly irksome in retaliation, but with the few pics I have, I am more likely to pass the test of valor and cut down yon tree with a herring. Curses! :lol:

Hmm... what kind of "irksome" pic do you have of me, might I ask? :goofysca:

Note that the footage was taken by Squidman's dad (I think it was his dad) before anything got started... there were no speakers speaking at the time! :smile:

tonmo said:
Another person I think we're missing is Shepmoon -- anyone get a pic of him? BTW, Shepmoon (if you're reading this thread), how was whale-watching on Sunday?

Ohhh I forgot to mention...I don't show up on film or in mirrors. Sorry!

Nice to meet you all. I'm sorry I didn't make it back for the afternoon talks and festivities. I went to the Aquarium and got totally worn out between some ongoing health problems and the absolute insanity (a Saturday afternoon, after all) at the Aquarium.

Whale-watching was awesome! We saw several humpbacks, one of which did a considerable head-slapping performance, plus a couple pairs of blues (somewhat rare, we were told), plus a lovely assortment of dolphins playing with the boat. Very cool! Alas, no giant tentacles suddenly dwarfing the boat.

Add my thanks to all the organizers. Very cool con!

Shep

tonmo said:
Hmm... what kind of "irksome" pic do you have of me, might I ask? :goofysca:

Note that the footage was taken by Squidman's dad (I think it was his dad) before anything got started... there were no speakers speaking at the time! :smile:

NEE!

Must you be so proud that I have none?! Dappy eenglish, your mother was a hampster, and your father smelt of elder-berries! (I watched Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail recently. :razz: ) Now be quiet or I shall taunt you a second time. :lol:

more pics

Here are a few more pictures from Monterey

Attachments

• conv_288263.jpg
    conv_288263.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 108
  • conv_288264.jpg
    conv_288264.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 119
more MBARI pics

And the yellow underwater unmanned machines they build and send out.

The Navy man working on these described the levels of pressure they are built to withstand and what kind of filling is used to enable this.

Each has something along the lines of "this is not a weapon - please contact MBARI" with phone numbers and email addresses and urls to facilitate return. Last year, one was retrieved from Norway...

Attachments

• conv_288273.jpg
    conv_288273.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 105
  • conv_288272.jpg
    conv_288272.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 107
MBARI tour pictures 3

Solar panels provide the energy used by some of the underwater equipment (not Ventana or Tiburon - they need too much).

Attachments

• conv_288274.jpg
    conv_288274.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 91
  • conv_288275.jpg
    conv_288275.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 96
more from MBARI

Outside, the first group got a look at the Zephyr, an MBARI vessel. The later group left the hallowed halls just as the Ventana arrived at the dock upon a different boat.

The "arms" in the photo of Ventana hold large canisters and their "lids" for top and bottom. The jars they return with are essentially acrylic tubes with caps that are removed from top and bottom until the desired sample is within. Then the "arms" slide the top and bottom over the openings to secure whatever specimen.

Attachments

• conv_288276.jpg
    conv_288276.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 113
  • conv_288277.jpg
    conv_288277.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 119
  • conv_288278.jpg
    conv_288278.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 98

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back