• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S Bandensis

i thought six was always the right number too when i was looking at a breeding community - almost certain sex mix - allows for some losses - allows a "choice" for the cuttles if that is important? - and allows a good number to look at and enjoy in your tank!!

More sucess with frozen dead food (after a live foods shortage :lol: ).

These guys are getting real friendly now, and all of them were waiting round, actually swimming mis water waiting to get fed!!

Took the advantage of adding crab to the menu last night, so will let you know how they get on.

I also think we need to hear from the person who took some of my babies!!

Well, all babies gone now!! Bit sad, but at same time releived I can now get the tank back in perfect order and concentrate on my own.

Fingers crossed breeding and eggs in some months down the line.

As it goes - does anyone know maturity rate, and accurate lifespan for Bandensis?

TIA

Okay okay, LOL

The 6 babes that I took are doing fine. They had their first taste of shore crab last night and all 'knew' how to approach and catch a crab without getting arms caught by claws. The crabs were all about 6-10mm accross or thereabouts.

They dont spend as much time in the sand as officinalis do but tend more to sit on the liverock and walk about on the sand.

Have a stack of varios sizes of frozen krill to try out over the next few days too.

So far so good :smile:

Well, no interest from my guys on any dead food yet... just not recognising it at all... will keep trying though.

On a cool note though, one of them was doing the 'passing cloud' display to another cuttle after it caught the shrimp and the other missed out. That's a trick that officinalis certainly never did.

Haven't seen the blue dots... i don't have lights on the tank though so maybe just more noticeable with your halides?

PS: Going to put the ID to bed on these guys due to Mark Normans description (thanks for the loan of the book Col) as follows:

* Collection location
* Raised spines on the body
* Walks using the 3rd arm pair
* Small blue dots along the fin base
* Paired black markings on the rear end of the body

So......SEPIA BANDENSIS!!!!!!! (Thats what I believe anyway)

Passing cloud is when the chromatophores on the cuttle's back flash in such a way that light and dark patches on the back seem to be moving from the rear to the front of the cuttlefish... bit like clouds passing quickly...

Passing cloud video

Once the page loads, right click on the cuttlefish video to watch again

I think bandensis too but there may possibly be other similar species in the same area :wink: LOL

I don't think the blue spots are definitive - I have had some cuttles that had them, but I don't believe were bandensis -too big. The paired eye spots on the back of the mantle seems pretty definitive, but I have only seen it once in the last 2 years. I think there are a lot of sepia that share lots of the traits of the bandensis. I do think that all of the eggs I have seen come in are the same species, bandensis. :biggrin2:

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, various things causing it.

Been busy trying to design a website, and also a baffle in my sump came loose, so planning to fix that tomorrow.

Once everything is back on track i'll get some pics up if I can. These guys prefer to hide during the day, so while they are small enough to, dont think i'll see much of them. Be a different story when they are too big to squeeze into gaps!!

However, so do come into view during the day, and show in lovely pink/purple colours. Need to get a pic of that pattern for you guys!

Once tank is fixed, i'll be shutting halides off and switch to T5 lighting, maybe helping them come out a bit more, but if not, it will certainly help keeping the summer temps down.

PS: Mantle length now just over and inch!

Some a little bigger, some smaller, but aint seen no deaths yet, however, agression from one (suspect male) is getting worse - oh dear!! :lol:

sepia mestus (reaper cuttle) also has the two 'eye spots' and sepia pharonis has electric blue spots and lines on the mantle fin things too! - although with all the indicators it sounds like you might be right lol

Hey folks,

Today has been the first chance I've had to take some pics, and low and behold, my normally crepuscular (twighlight living) cuttles came out to see me. They're getting very friendly now :lol:

Excuse the glass, but thought I should get the shots now, rather than scare them away cleaning the glass!

They are of one of the larger babies I have. Bold as brass, even displaying his skin moulding powers in the later pics!

Close up
DSCF0453%20(Medium).JPG

What you looking at:
1374DSCF0454_Medium_.JPG

Look dad, I can walk (line below is silicone it thats close! and you can make out blue dots on skirt)
1374DSCF0461_Medium_.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back