S Bandensis

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
After keeping S Officinallis and losing him (8 months ago) I have only now just let myself think slightly about keeping a ceph again.

I have the chance of some imported eggs, which i believe are S Bandensis.

If I am able to obtain them, can you advise will 2 or 3 (if raised together) be ok in a 70 gallon tank. And will they eat my typical clean up crew or turbos and red leg hermits.

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
They might go for the hermits but snails seem to be left alone, in a 70 gallon 3 should do fine, make sure they get well fed though, if one is smaller than the others it'll make a good meal for the others when they get hungry.

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
Hi Colin, good to speak to you again.

Once i have been in contact with my guy, i'll try to let you know. I doubt the secret will be forthcoming, but will have a go!

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
a few tonmo'ers have been successful with bandensis am i right?

they have great colour too - i watched some of joels(?) video!

indonesia is not far from australia you know :razz:

haha... if you could let us know it would be fantastic - they are eggs you say? even better!

if you cant tell me how to get them can you tell me how you found the indonesian supplier? it is really difficult trying to make a contact when you dont know where to start lol

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
no no no way!!!! :grad:

bandensis i dont know all that much about except that they only grow to like 10cm full length but latimanus grow up to 30-40cm mantle length (plus more for arms and tentacles!) they are almost a tropical version of the common european cuttlefish now for sale on the internet.

according to the nrcc latimanus may not reach their full size in an aquarium if ample space is not provided and adapt better to a slightly smaller tank but it is definitely NOT reccomended (200 gallon minimum as always) they are really cool though...lol :lol:

gotta ask too

hey do you mind telling me where youre getting those eggs from. ive been looking for those forever.

:cuttle: :beer: :band:

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
thanks for that collin - let us know how it goes! (eagerly awaiting response!!!) though it seems that getting cuttles in australia has suddenly become a lot easier with suppliers now willing to order them specifically they appear on ordering lists every 2 weeks or so i am told!!! yay

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
Hey all,

These eggs have completely dissapeared from the importers list recently. My guys are on it, and as soon as they turn up, we'll give you an update.

Blast - i only missed them by a week too - anyone know if the they are seasonal layers?

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
not sure about bandensis but the giant australian cuttlefish congregate in enormous groups of thousands in certain places to spawn - they are so docile at this time that you can pick them up with your hands. It happens at whyalla in south australia at a certain time every year in the same place/time within a week or so every year (a little off track but cool!!) im not sure if others do the same - i would have thought not since they have lifespans of less than a year in some cases! but i might be wrong...

Colin

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Hi Mikey
I'm pretty sure they will be seasonal.. I'm guessing that on the fact that we have seasonal influxes of 'how to keep bandensis' questions. Thats when the adults often start appearing in the US. However, they might have two seasons per year... dont know enough about them in the wild.

Still got fingers crossed

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
Cheers Col, How's things going? Not seen you on-line in a while. Busy with the fish garage are ya?

Well, if they are annually seasonal, we just got another 10 months to wait mate!

Members online

No members online now.