• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

S. bandensis from Net Breeder to Main Tank

stadtfam

Larval Mass
Registered
Hi everyone,

I have a group of Sepia bandensis ranging from 10-12 weeks old in four net breeders right now with four to each net breeder. They are able to eat both live and frozen shrimp and are becoming a little bit big for the breeders, so I think it is about time to release them into the main tank.

My question is how to do this. Should I release them all at once, or just try one group of four first, or try to pick out only the oldest/largest ones, or what?

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Thats all up to you. I have done it every way you describe. What I always consider is being able to find them in the display, so if the smaller animals are too small, you can release some and wait on the others. Fun!

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Oh, I can't wait to hear all of the panic attacks you have, after you first release them, trying to find them in the main tank... Good luck, sounds like they are ready to be released..

DeepBlueWonders

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Mark Forster;189105 said:
BTW Where did you get your live Mysis from and how much?
I know this is a little late for a reply, but I get my mysid from Sachs Aquacultre Systems. Paul Sachs takes excellent care of his customers.

squishy1

Blue Ring
Registered
Paul Sachs is a great place to get mysids for a good price, the only catch is they are wild caught, so you have the possibility of getting some bad hitchhikers with them. I know with the shore shrimp I've gotten some that look like they have some sort of growth or disease on them. Its not an issue if you're just using them to feed, but if you want to start a culture of your own, your best bet is to get truly aquacultured (closed system) ones. I'm expecting some from MBL aquaculture today to get a clean starter.

Members online

No members online now.