• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S. bandensis from Net Breeder to Main Tank

stadtfam

Hatchling
Registered
Hi everyone,

I have a group of Sepia bandensis ranging from 10-12 weeks old in four net breeders right now with four to each net breeder. They are able to eat both live and frozen shrimp and are becoming a little bit big for the breeders, so I think it is about time to release them into the main tank.

My question is how to do this. Should I release them all at once, or just try one group of four first, or try to pick out only the oldest/largest ones, or what?

Thats all up to you. I have done it every way you describe. What I always consider is being able to find them in the display, so if the smaller animals are too small, you can release some and wait on the others. Fun!

Paul Sachs is a great place to get mysids for a good price, the only catch is they are wild caught, so you have the possibility of getting some bad hitchhikers with them. I know with the shore shrimp I've gotten some that look like they have some sort of growth or disease on them. Its not an issue if you're just using them to feed, but if you want to start a culture of your own, your best bet is to get truly aquacultured (closed system) ones. I'm expecting some from MBL aquaculture today to get a clean starter.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back