S.Bandensis Cuttlefish - Just released the kids into main tank

I just returned the male to the main tank and he started mating with the resident female immediately. It's amazing how calm he has been with the transfers. I'm observing the isolated female now (she has a direct view of the main tank as they are situated no more than an inch apart) and she is flashing dramatically while watching the mating. I wonder if shes jealous that her boyfriend has left her for another woman. :smile:

Well, this may be the end of my reef experiment. My heater failed spectacularly and literally separated under water, allowing water to rush in and fry the electronics. The SMELL of fried electronics is permeating the water. I pulled out all of the cuttles and DUMPED them into the iso tank with my other female. They seem to be doing ok...male started mating right way (cause thats what his favorite hobby is) and females are dealing with it. I did a 50% H20 change and run a ton of chemipure. I really dont think the reef will survive this. If it doesnt, I'm just going to let the cuttles go to a LFS or whoever wants them as I cannot keep them in such a small tank and I just don't have the will to start from scratch right now. So, we will see what happens.

Stealth. Marineland. (yup. never thought it would happen to me)
On an up note - looks like the h20 change and chemipure are working. All my corals are banging out again and look fine. Amazing, since the entire reef shut down in about 30 seconds flat and the water was cloudy and the smell was unbelievable. I pulled out my chaeto to make room for the chemipure and the entire bunch smelled like it had been in an electrical fire (which, it kinda was). I'm going to wait at least 24 hours before I put the cuttles back in.

One of my cats disappeared from the house this afternoon (she never leaves my side) and I'm setting out a bait trap this evening to see if I can catch her. Hopefully my luck will extend to her. Friggin interesting day.

I am amazed and delighted that the tank recovered. I wonder if the coral mass spawned to make the tank cloudy.

As snowmaker mentions, this seems to happen more than it used to (perhaps the communication is just greater though). I have gone to metal only heaters with wired remote control after seeing one too many reports.

Finally! One of my many many many eggs has a little cuttle moving inside of it. Looks like it will hatch within the next few days. Pics to follow... :smile:

...Well, it's an end of an era. My females produced tons of eggs and a few young (very few viables) and did a great job being cuttles. Both females have now passed on to the great beyond...the last one expired last night. My monster male, who never expended much energy doing anything but feeding and sexing up the ladies is still going strong. I dont expect him to have too much more gas in the tank given the longevity of the species but he looks great and very attached to living. I think that when he moves on I will switch gears and work with octos to see what all the fuss is about. This has been an amazing project and i want to thank everyone that helped out with advice, support and just for being here to check out my posts...especially thales and dwhatley. :smile:

Sad to hear your girls have expired. I wonder if you your male would still mate if you put in another mature female (I wonder if Thales has experimented with adding new females, particularly to see if longevity was effected). Not trying to dissuade you from thinking about octos though :sagrin:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back