S.Bandensis Cuttlefish - Just released the kids into main tank

I noticed the wide pupils again in the second video. I noticed the same thing when Maya (O. hummelincki) layed her eggs and Nancy mentioned seeing it with Ollie (bimac octo). What it means, I have not clue, but it is interesting that both species show this effect.

Now you have me watching the eyes in all the videos :smile:. It appears that they close them during mating but going back and reviewing will be interesting to see if this is always the case.

I'll keep posting if you keep watching!

I've also noticed they squint their eyes during a strike to protect them -

DSC_0019-2.jpg

Oh wow......I love your Xenia video!! And octopuses are great fun too........Not something you'd want to set loose on that awesome reef of yours though, they can be a little.....um.......creative, with other things in the tank, and not only in ways you'd like them to be. Believe me, I believe they have their own ideas about interior decorating and no regard for what you decide looks good in your tank.......but it's that personality that makes them so great.

Heres some more action shots for you D. I was trying to catch some decent arm shots and ended up getting some really cool tentacle grab shots.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

I was voting for #3 until I saw #6 and the suckers on the tentacles as well as the way the tip is wrapped around the shrimp. You are really developing (pun intended) a nice secondary hobby. Did you set the camera up for a timelapse? If so, how many seconds apart. I have played only a little with the feature on mine (and I don't have your lens) but the clarity is excellent, especially knowing how fast this is all taking place.

Thanks! No, I just waited until i thought they were going to strike and took the shot. I wish I didnt have to use a flash so I could just fire off a quick series. Unfortunately the flash slows down the recovery time on the camera significantly.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back