S. bandensis at the California Academy of Sciences

Wheww, I thought that is what you meant but OB made a connection that could have easily been correct since you rarely report a demise.

Still looking for pictures :biggrin2:

Frankly, demises are such a part of life with these guys over the years that I try not to dwell on them. :biggrin2:

The new animals on show are mating. Dirty little cuttles! I try to snap some pics today.

Some pics snapped with the little camera:

Acclimation:
main.php

Just like daddy:
main.php

Sexy time:
main.php

main.php

Here is a picture of Thor just before he was euthanized. He was eating his arms, so something had to be done. One of the largest bandensis I have ever seen.

I didn't know cuttlefish would eat their arms like octopus. I keep thinking that aging causes skin irritation and wonder if it is infection or drying (dehydration maybe). I have noticed a swelling near the end and have even wondered about circulation and waste (lack of) removal from the blood much like humans.

I visited the Academy recently, and was blown away to see a Sepia Bandensis tank! Of course, I had to run to TONMO and see what was up with it :biggrin2:

Congrats! The tank is great. I visited in late June. One of the cuttles was lying on the substrate blending in, and the other had positioned itself exactly behind one of the corals to hide. I almost missed it!

Of course, I was suuuuuper stoked to see Metasepia Pfefferi on display as well. So small! I hope I can make it back within the next year to see it grown up. Where did you acquire it from?

Anyways, I loved the tank- it was the highlight of my whole trip to the Academy!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back