S. bandensis at the California Academy of Sciences

corpusse;145396 said:
Looks like you've raised quite a few, what is the survival rate to adulthood?

High percentage, as long as they are fed enough. Up until this round, the problem has been getting viable eggs.

dwhatley;145398 said:
Thales, it just occured to me that this is yet another example of a good year for cephs - are these eggs from wild caught or a second generation?

These eggs are from adults I raised from wild eggs.

Thales;145675 said:
Lots o' hatchlings.

Insanity.

If a lot of these guys do make it into the pet trade there should be no more need for wild caught eggs.

I hope this time next year I am hatching one tenth that many, maybe one one hundredth at the rate yours are going.

very interesting thread, good luck thales hope one day the cuttles can hit the market, i sent you a pm on manhattan reefs before i read this, the thread pretty much answered my question. i wish i can work with cuttles like you do would make me love going to work =]

There are only a few vendors I will be allowed to get cuttles to, and they want them eating prepared foods. In the next couple of month I plan to send some out and will let you know when I do.

The growth study grinds on. I can't tell you how fun it is to dry off cuttles and weigh them once a week.

The egg laying slowed and then stopped about a month ago. The eggs were being laid randomly, not being attached well, and lots of 'empty eggs'.

The little male on show grew up and began to be a pain, the two of the constantly harassing 'Thor' the large male, so I moved the used to be little guy off show. We also lost one of the females for unknown reasons.

I wrote them up for the 2010 Drum and Croaker, which is available here for download for anyone interested: http://www.colszoo.org/internal/drumcroaker.htm

Here is a pic of cuttles looking like rocks. :biggrin2:

Yeah, my job sucks!

Those aren't mushrooms, they are Acanthophyllia deshayesiana from Indo. There are also large Sarcophytons.

Neat day -

The remaining male and female on show have been retired. The male, Thor, is huge. I'll get some measurements.

9 juvies have replaced the big ones - 1/2 are Thor's kids and 1/2 are wild eggs.

Super fun!

... uh aren't you forgetting something Rich? WHERE are the photos of the new one? A photo of Thor would be nice along with the measurements too.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back