Portobello Diary

NZMSC & Portobello Aquarium wins an award!

Message we received from our manager Tessa, so good I had to share!

"I've just received an email to confirm that the New Zealand Marine Studies Centre has achieved an Enviro-Gold award! (see www.qualmark.co.nz/responsibletourism.php)

When we were evaluated by Qualmark late in 2009 we were told we had scored 100%, but the report then had to go to a panel in the UK to decide whether we had earned an Enviro award as well as the Qualmark endorsement."

Enviro-Gold is their highest award we are all just over the moon! Lots of hard work has paid off! :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

J

It's an award for responsible tourism, so we have to show that we are recycling, power conserving (fun in an aquarium!), and generally reducing our footprint, we need to show ongoing staff training etc

Qualmark is a quality assurance register, businesses are assessed annually on their commitment to quality, If you see the qualmark symbol you can be assured of a good experience. Again there is a whole bunch of achievements we must make, such as ongoing guiding training (all our staff do ATTTO http://www.attto.org.nz/ training, which trains guides amongst other things)

Attachments

• conv_296001.gif
    conv_296001.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 97
  • conv_296002.jpg
    conv_296002.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 95
Goodly sized beast! Who had to pick him up when he escaped and how do you encourage an escapee out of the drain into a bucket (I know you guys have this down pat by now :mrgreen:)?

Whoever is on duty gets the job of getting him back in the tank! We use a LARGE net and place it behind him, then move in front of him, if all goes well he'll back into the net and we can either place him in a bucket or fish bin or flip him directly back in the tank, depending on how far he's got! :bugout:

Check out our facebook page, there is a pic of John (one of our staff) returning a most grumpy octopus to his tank from the next door tank, where he was helping himself to some extra crabs! John is using the arm grab method!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back