Portobello Diary

Well, we have a new octopus, a small male, who arrived last Wednesday (I think, I was off duty!), that night he snuck out of his tank and munched 4 of his neighbours (Cancer or Piecrust crabs , Metacarcinus novaezelandiae (see http://www.marine.csiro.au/crimp/images/NIMPIS/Cancer_novaezelandiae.jpg) he'd already eaten the ones in his tank! Since recapture he has been skulking at the back of the pipe in his tank (there is a concrete drain pipe cemented to the back of the tank as an octopus bedroom) as soon as he condescends to come out I'll try for pictures!

Some people still don't believe that an octopus is capable of escaping and going into another tank and having some more dinner. In this case, was he found in the crab tank? - sounds like he didn't make it back to his own tank.

Nancy

no he didn't, he was still busy munching the next morning. I fed him last night and he was cruising round his tank with two very large cancer crabs tucked under his web when I left, The new gap he found by the wall si now blocked off with plywood and duct tape, until we can get it properly fixed!

Carol, he just had to squeeze out between the wall and the doors to his tank, then squeeze under the lid of the next door tank, so not very far actually (less than 3 feet!) Don't know WHAT we were thinking putting crabs so close to the octopus tank!

J

He now has a name Fidgety Fred! And here is the promised pic, not very good but he is jammed in the concrete drain pipe we put in for them!

We also now have a page on facebook at Log in to Facebook

Attachments

• conv_295985.jpg
    conv_295985.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 98
Jean,
I am adding new entries in the List of Our Octopuses forum for each ceph you put in the journal. The links will start with the introduction post (rather than at the top of the thread) so if you haven't posted in awhile, you can easily find it from the current year's sticky. I could go looking for some of your prior octo posts and copy them into this thread as well if you would like.

Hi Jean, can you post some of the care requirements for Fidgety Fred? He looks very similar to the octopuses I picked up at the grocery store. If you happen to have more pictures, I'd love to see them!

Sure D if you could do that it would be great.

Dave FF is a NZ Common Octopus (Pinnoctopus cordiformis) . He is in a 3000L flow through aquarium, with sand filtration (all we need, our water supply is very good!) we check O2 every day but other parameters are not so important. He is held at ambient temp, and a normal day/night cycle. He is fed several large crabs per day (usually cancer or paddle crabs). Tank is siphoned every day and given a thorough scrub once a week (we climb in!). At the moment we are conducting a behavioural study with him, we are doing the baseline at the moment......recording what is he doing every hour, then we will look at enrichment, either natural or man made.

J

Portobello Octo Diary Consolidation

Might have gone a little overboard but I had too much fun finding the old posts. I only merged the octos into the diary and found that you were more prolific with the camera prior to adding letters after your name :sagrin:

There is lots of good stuff in the history so maybe others will read through some of the long forgotten posts.

I am afraid Perke is going to be intimidated by the length of your diary but maybe it will act as incentive to at least get some nice cuttle shots up.:razz:

YIKES didn't realise I'd been so verbose!

Yeah now I have the letters people expect me to actually WORK! I can't hide behind my camera any more! Actually I'm more often on main campus and not at the aquarium, but I'll make a conscious effort to get more pics (no promises FF is camera shy!)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back