• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus sick - arm decay???

The eggs and adults in that pic are Sepia bandensis for sure. I know because I bred those animals and took that pic! :biggrin2:

LOL, I started to mention that many suppliers use photos they find on the web as representations and never photograph what they actually get. Almost no supplier can ID anything but a nautilus. I refrained from the comment be cause I did not know if this was a US only supplier trait :biggrin2:.

Our male GPO, approximately 2 years old, has been biting his arms. Our vet (public aquarium) has suggested Tramadol for pain. Do you have any experience with this type of treatment?

I don't, mostly because I don't know how you would tell if the octopus is in pain or how you would tell if the Tramadol was relieving the pain. I can check my literature at work tomorrow though.

How large is your GPO? Is it biting the arms off or just biting random places on random arms?

He is approximately 20 lbs. He has taken one completely off that has completely healed (2 months ago). He is now working on another in the middle of the left 4 arm, and I noticed yesterday the tip is gone. He is still actively eating and interactive with me. I will be consulting with our vet today on a plan. Let me know what you find out.
Thank you!

That's weird, obviously this is not likely to senescence because your GPO is 2 years old. There's only one suggestion I could think of, did you check your water perimeters, ph and all that stuff? Were there any changes you made? Oxygen levels and all? I've read some symptoms that are senescence like may be experienced by quality of water.

I can't be of any help. I have had one of the smaller species to chew off its arms after being out of the tank and under a fan so the irritation was known. I have wondered recently about slime coat and the possible need to add something to the water to aid it.

Out of curiosity, which arm did he chew off first? You mentioned he is attacking L4 now but was the first one R4?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back