• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

SpimerYT

Cuttlefish
Registered
The day octopus is finaly at the store. I have a 30 gallon for it as a baby what size tank from there? Is it cruel to keep it in a 30 gal for ever or 35 gal. I know no fish but see others do it so what are some posible fish even if they could get eaten
All types of coral, pencil sea urchin brittle star what else can live with it i know they are escape artist. I did my reasearch

As a default we say 50 - 55+ gallon tank especially for non-dwarf octos, but it can depend on the species. I'll let resident experts weigh in. Regarding tankmates, considerations include not only the creatures you add getting eaten, but also doing harm to the octo.

Good that you have done some research, but the learning never ends, as ceph-keeping is not a settled operation. Lots of unknowns and considerations -- be sure to use our Search feature to check out others' experiences with various tankmates. Good luck and keep us posted on progress!

The day octopus is finaly at the store. I have a 30 gallon for it as a baby what size tank from there? Is it cruel to keep it in a 30 gal for ever or 35 gal. I know no fish but see others do it so what are some posible fish even if they could get eaten
All types of coral, pencil sea urchin brittle star what else can live with it i know they are escape artist. I did my reasearch
They need at least a 300 gallon tank! They grow huge. Yes it would not be good to put him in such a small tank.

Not all types of coral can live with octopuses- they have sensitive skin and can be stung by many species of corals, so take care with that. Mixing fish with octopuses is usually a bad idea- someone always ends up hurt or dead.

I absolutely agree with Tomh that they need a large tank! 30-35 gallons is far too small- definitely needs upwards of 300 gallons.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back