Octopus & Propaganda

Hey, it's got nostrils!! Where's George?

Very interesting, Clem, I enjoyed that foray into Californian history. Nicely written. :thumbsup:

And now... back to Moroteuthis.

:onycho: (almost)

Tintenfisch,

Thanks very much. I "found" that cartoon a month ago, but it took a while to research. There's more to that California story, and yet more octopus stuff to relate, but I need a little beer. Breather.

:beer:

Clem

Emperor said:
I'm not sure if it has come up but 'The Octopus' is a wide ranging umbrella conspiracy theory developed by Danny Casolaro...
Emps,

Our friends at Fortean Times have posted an online article about Mr. Casolaro's Octopus conspiracy theory, including an odd tie-in with the Burning Man festival. Very odd, indeed. Click here to read the FT update.

Clem

The Swiss may cherish their neutrality in matters of international dispute, but if you try to take away their beloved municipal baths, you'll be sorry.

At the end of the eighties, Geneva's Bains des Paquis, established in 1872, were threatened with a drastic, character-altering overhaul. Patrons of the baths organized to prevent the teardown, gathered signatures on petitions and put up great posters, like the one below.

In September of 1988, the matter was put to a referendum, and the city's plan to modernize the baths went down to defeat. Instead, funds were allocated to restore and stabilize the existing structure. This victory warranted a party, but it was September, and a bit brisk to be playing splashy-splashy in Lake Geneva's waters, so the party was held the following May....

Attachments

• conv_287481.jpg
    conv_287481.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 158
TONMO,

Thanks much.

Now, where were we? Ah, yes: the Genevois were about to celebrate the defeat of the octopus (city government) threatening les Bains des Paquis.

Problem was, they had a big, dead, symbolic pieuvre in the pool.

So, they lounged on it, and dove from it, and generally made do.

And at least one guy ate it.

Attachments

• conv_287482.jpg
    conv_287482.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 137
Avast Phil,

Thanks a lot. Aren't those posters great? The linework reminds me of Hergé (Tintin) and a Dutch artist name of Joost Swarte. Haven't yet found the name of the Swiss artist who made them.

For a look at les Bains (and they are quite lovely), click here.

:sink:

Le Clem

I was watching the history channel and saw a picture of a octopus cartoon, but cant find it on the web... it was following the collapse of the Louisiana lottery... what a shock, corruption down there :roll:

WhiteKiboko said:
I was watching the history channel and saw a picture of a octopus cartoon, but cant find it on the web... it was following the collapse of the Louisiana lottery... what a shock, corruption down there :roll:

WK,

Thanks for the tip. No images, yet, but here's a link to a brief description of the lottery and why it was called an octopus.Click here, then scroll down the page.

I'm off to troll the ether.

Clem

heres four i found on the web... dont have descriptions for all but the gist can be gleaned from them....i had another, but i couldnt blow it up enough to be able to read it....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back