Octopus eggs for graduate student project

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by rawigton10, Aug 17, 2010.

1. rawigton10

rawigton10 Larval Mass Registered

Hello everyone,
    I am a graduate student working on a cephalopod project. I was wondering if anyone knows of sources for octopus eggs. I need a species (such as Octopus vulgaris or Octopus bimaculatus) that has planktonic paralarvae (many small eggs). Any input would be very much appreciated. I can be reached at rwigt001@odu.edu

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Nice to see someone experimenting with the small egg species hatchlings. Hummelincki, joubini (be careful here though as most octopuses sold as O. joubini are O. mercatoris and are a large egg species) are two other Caribbean options and aculeatus (or any of the abdopus complex) from Indonesia would meet your criteria. Unfortunately, trying to find eggs or a brooding female is a by chance happening for most of our members. One member did have aculeatus some a month ago so check the Journals and Photos section for new entries every week or so.

3. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

There are a few Abdopus aculeatus showing up in the aquarium trade. About half of the females I've gotten in the past laid eggs.

Roy