O. briareus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by iAlex, Nov 27, 2012.

1. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

So last week I ordered a medium Caribbean from LiveAquaria but somehow I screwed up putting the payment info in and that delayed the shipping to this week. When I was talking to one of the customer service guys I asked to have it delivered tomorrow, but apparently that was ignored and shipped yesterday. So I did the obvious thing and left school this morning to go home and acclimate my new octo. :lol:

When I was done acclimating he did not want to leave the bag. At all. I ended up just draining most of the water from the bag and put it in the tank to let him climb out at his own pace, and I got a few pictures of that.

Oddly, he was out while I was at work, so my mom got to take some pictures this afternoon and I got some earlier tonight. He is much bigger then I expected (much like eng50's), and I don't know quite how big he'll get or how long I will have him.

He has at least one, maybe more, shorter arms that have regrown mostly. Also, on the last picture you can see what may be 'battle wounds', right below the siphon.

In some of the pictures towards the end you can see it looks like he was eating something, and I was able to get him to eat a small little stone crab.

On to the pictures! :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tentacle Toast likes this.
  2. iAlex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tentacle Toast and CaptFish like this.
  3. eng50

eng50 O. bimaculoides Registered

Great octo! It will be interesting to see how both of ours progress, as they look very similar in age....If you need anything or want to talk octos, call me anytime! 804-339-xxxx

Bill

4. iAlex

You might want to take that off the internet. This isn't quite Facebook or Twitter popularity wise, but you never know who could see that.:wink:

CaptFish likes this.
  5. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I agree. it will pop up on search engines if it is on tonmo.com , like google, yahoo and so on....

6. iAlex

Here is the video I took while she was in the bag:

7. iAlex

She came out tonight when the daylight light turned on:

8. iAlex

Tonight I put in a feeder shrimp and this was her first shot at it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Obviously he/she did not TOTALLY give up on the feeder shrimp :wink:. O. briareus is probably one of my top choices and is usually at least one of the pair (or so) that I keep as it just does not seem right not to have one in the house.

Not coming out of the bag/container or not moving from where they first land on entering the aquarium seems to be trademark for O. briareus.

One thing I have noted about age is the dent you can see near the back of the animal's mantle. It seems to appear around 5-6 months. I've seen it in other species but it is always well defined in O. briareus (no idea what it means other than reaching a certain age. It does NOT indicate sex but may have something to do with sexual maturity). The color looks very good without signs of gray and I don't see swelling at the back as if she is about to brood so hopefully you will have some extended time with this one. I don't see enlarged suckers but could not get a good look at the third arm. This is one Caribbean species where the third arm channel is not extremely hard to see (a physical characteristic I have problems seeing in others in spite of what Roy and Crissy have said :roll:), especially in well focused photos so I am guessing female.

Edit: I went back and reviewed the videos and it appears that the truncated arm may be the third right arm so watch it as it grows and look for the spermatophore channel. One of the suckers on that arm appears enlarged in one photo but this may be because it is spread out on the glass and I don't notice others. SueNami's hectocotylus was in this same condition and ended up as a boy named Sue. The loss may be the result of an attempted mating. I am hoping it is a male (unless you WANT to try raising hatchlings then hoping for a mated female) as IME they live several months longer and are active most of their adult lives.

10. eng50

eng50 O. bimaculoides Registered

Glad to see 'she' is so active, ours hasn't come out of its cave yet so no good pictures to share. Keep the pics coming its great to see and share/compare experiences.. We can see our octo 'watching' us as it changes colors readily depending on our proximity to the tank and the eye slit dilates some..We have not been up late late at night to see whats going on then however...

Bill

11. Tentacle Toast

Tentacle Toast GPO Supporter Registered

WOW...he/she is an exceptionally attractive octopus, in my opinion. Those eyes are nothing shy of enchanting! Congratulations, & thank you for the pictures & videos (please, keep them coming)! Best of luck with to you!

12. iAlex

Ever since that first day of her coming out, she has pretty much been hiding. Mostly she is either in between the rocks and overflows, on the back wall, or her most recent hangout underneath the rocks on the sand in about the middle of the tank. Also, 3/4 corners of the tank have now been dug up... As of right now she is out cruising on the glass but will duck back if she sees me, this is the first night in awhile I've been up this late so I don't know how long she has been coming out for. I will try to go through the camera tomorrow to see if I have any pictures worth uploading.

13. MimicryJP

MimicryJP O. vulgaris Registered

Very cool octo! I think the o. Briareus is definitely one of my favorites.

Jake

14. iAlex

She's gotten a bit better at catching shrimp on the first try... :lol:

[​IMG]

DWhatley likes this.
  15. iAlex

16. iAlex

I was in a rush to take this picture so it didn't turn out how I wanted, but still kinda cool. It shows arms R3 and L4 are the hurt ones.

[​IMG]

17. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Assuming that is not well placed lint, you can see the beginnings of regrowth as that little string on L4. It looks like L2 was someone's lunch awhile back.

18. iAlex

Okay, I have two videos and it is important to watch the first one to set the stage for the second. :twisted:

19. iAlex

Watch the first one in the post above if you haven't already.

20. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

you always get killer pics and video alex nice job
    wear do you get those shrimp, i cant find any thng that big