O. briareus

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
So last week I ordered a medium Caribbean from LiveAquaria but somehow I screwed up putting the payment info in and that delayed the shipping to this week. When I was talking to one of the customer service guys I asked to have it delivered tomorrow, but apparently that was ignored and shipped yesterday. So I did the obvious thing and left school this morning to go home and acclimate my new octo. :lol:

When I was done acclimating he did not want to leave the bag. At all. I ended up just draining most of the water from the bag and put it in the tank to let him climb out at his own pace, and I got a few pictures of that.

Oddly, he was out while I was at work, so my mom got to take some pictures this afternoon and I got some earlier tonight. He is much bigger then I expected (much like eng50's), and I don't know quite how big he'll get or how long I will have him.

He has at least one, maybe more, shorter arms that have regrown mostly. Also, on the last picture you can see what may be 'battle wounds', right below the siphon.

In some of the pictures towards the end you can see it looks like he was eating something, and I was able to get him to eat a small little stone crab.

On to the pictures! :mrgreen:

DSCN1951.jpg

DSCN1951.jpg

DSCN1950.jpg

DSCN1957.jpg

DSCN1957.jpg

DSCN1958.jpg

DSCN1959.jpg

DSCN1963.jpg

DSCN1968.jpg

DSCN1969.jpg

Great octo! It will be interesting to see how both of ours progress, as they look very similar in age....If you need anything or want to talk octos, call me anytime! 804-339-xxxx

Bill

You might want to take that off the internet. This isn't quite Facebook or Twitter popularity wise, but you never know who could see that.
I agree. it will pop up on search engines if it is on tonmo.com , like google, yahoo and so on....

Obviously he/she did not TOTALLY give up on the feeder shrimp :wink:. O. briareus is probably one of my top choices and is usually at least one of the pair (or so) that I keep as it just does not seem right not to have one in the house.

Not coming out of the bag/container or not moving from where they first land on entering the aquarium seems to be trademark for O. briareus.

One thing I have noted about age is the dent you can see near the back of the animal's mantle. It seems to appear around 5-6 months. I've seen it in other species but it is always well defined in O. briareus (no idea what it means other than reaching a certain age. It does NOT indicate sex but may have something to do with sexual maturity). The color looks very good without signs of gray and I don't see swelling at the back as if she is about to brood so hopefully you will have some extended time with this one. I don't see enlarged suckers but could not get a good look at the third arm. This is one Caribbean species where the third arm channel is not extremely hard to see (a physical characteristic I have problems seeing in others in spite of what Roy and Crissy have said :roll:), especially in well focused photos so I am guessing female.

Edit: I went back and reviewed the videos and it appears that the truncated arm may be the third right arm so watch it as it grows and look for the spermatophore channel. One of the suckers on that arm appears enlarged in one photo but this may be because it is spread out on the glass and I don't notice others. SueNami's hectocotylus was in this same condition and ended up as a boy named Sue. The loss may be the result of an attempted mating. I am hoping it is a male (unless you WANT to try raising hatchlings then hoping for a mated female) as IME they live several months longer and are active most of their adult lives.

Glad to see 'she' is so active, ours hasn't come out of its cave yet so no good pictures to share. Keep the pics coming its great to see and share/compare experiences.. We can see our octo 'watching' us as it changes colors readily depending on our proximity to the tank and the eye slit dilates some..We have not been up late late at night to see whats going on then however...

Bill

WOW...he/she is an exceptionally attractive octopus, in my opinion. Those eyes are nothing shy of enchanting! Congratulations, & thank you for the pictures & videos (please, keep them coming)! Best of luck with to you!

Ever since that first day of her coming out, she has pretty much been hiding. Mostly she is either in between the rocks and overflows, on the back wall, or her most recent hangout underneath the rocks on the sand in about the middle of the tank. Also, 3/4 corners of the tank have now been dug up... As of right now she is out cruising on the glass but will duck back if she sees me, this is the first night in awhile I've been up this late so I don't know how long she has been coming out for. I will try to go through the camera tomorrow to see if I have any pictures worth uploading.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back