O. briareus

I was in a rush to take this picture so it didn't turn out how I wanted, but still kinda cool. It shows arms R3 and L4 are the hurt ones.

DSCN21181.jpg

Assuming that is not well placed lint, you can see the beginnings of regrowth as that little string on L4. It looks like L2 was someone's lunch awhile back.

you always get killer pics and video alex nice job
wear do you get those shrimp, i cant find any thng that big

I order them from one of the wholesalers at my LFS (I work there). If they sell ghost shrimp ask if they can get bigger sizes in. I think I pay like $.15 each. Or, if you're near a river or any kind of water and have a bait shop try there, I think mine sells a dozen fiddlers for $3 and a dozen large ghost shrimp for like $5.

Does she have a name yet?

This does not exactly confirm my far sightedness thinking but it does give a good view of why they come to us with arms missing. I still think this species, above all the others we keep, hunts much more by feel than by sight. I do think they may be more sensitive to vibrations both on the substrate and in the water than others. I think if she identified the shrimp visually, she would have pounced before it buried. She was obviously aware something was digging in the sand and had a general idea of where it buried itself but had to hunt and react. There is the possibility that she "waited" until it disabled itself by burying and that the observation was visual but my thoughts are a blind briareus would act just as she did (not saying she is blind but that the hunting style is not visual).

Great video capture of both the shrimp and the hunting!

Fatigue is NOT an excuse for a tease post! :wink: The least you could do is assure us that noname is OK (you obviously were not consumed by the kraken).

Well, I fed her earlier last night, around 8:Something. Then later, around 10:30 she was out on the glass so I decide I might as well trying to get her to grab me, and she does! She kind of poked me with one arm but then got excited and ended up grabbing me with three arms trying to pull me to her mouth. After pulling for a minute or so she gives up and climbs back into the rocks. I figure since she isn't so shy anymore I should try to plant the idea of getting my mom to interact with this one since it was funny last time.

So, I'm gone for a few minutes and go and check on the tank again and I see her chilling out in the top of the tank in one of the back corners. As I get closer I notice that she has an arm tip (maybe like an inch at most) out of the tank. I freak out and try to push her back in, which doesn't work because she grabs on to my hand and sticks to it. Now, since I tried to open up the top a bit to get her back in, more arms come out. :bugout: So, now shes grabbing onto me with her top four arms and I just don't know what to do, and now, some of her arms are tangled in the netting behind the tank. Eventually I get my hand in the tank and try to guide her back down to the water.

She was a little upset, but seemed fine. :lol:

So now, I have this holding the tank lids down.
DSCN21551.jpg

I was looking for something I had read awhile ago and picked up my copy of
Pirates of the Deep - Stories of the Squid and Octopus by Paul Bartsch (1916). Not seeing what I wanted, I rabbit trailed into a section that I either forgot I read or had not remembered and it got me to thinking :oops: Bartsch mentions that Aristotle wrote you could not pull an octopus off a rock but you could get it to release the rock with "fleabane" (Inula coryza - I have no clue what that is - fleabane today is a weed that looks like a small daisey) OR tobacco (which makes me wonder how Aristotle knew about tobaccos since I thought it was brought to Europe from the Americas :roll:). In any case, I am a smoker and wonder if my usual success with touching the backs of the arms is dependent on which hand I use (the one I use to hold cigarettes or the left). It would seem if there is an impact though that they would constantly avoid my hand altogether.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back