O. Briareus-round II

We are a long way from touching that thought. At this stage of our collective experience, only a few of our members (Roy's Berkeley lab excluded) have managed same species matings. All of those since my time on-board have been a few of O. mercatoris (we have a recorded bimac mating but never found out about offspring). I may be destined to attempt an O.briareus mating but I am still debating the issue with myself.

Oceanproaquatics claims all of their bimacs are "tank bred and raised on the farm". Do you think there is an accuracy to that statement?

I think cross breeding is a good way to explain what we are seeing. At least an explanation that makes the most sence.

I think they steal other peoples videos (by putting their own name on them) and "suggest" they have facilities that don't exist so I would not trust a single statement that they make.

dwhatley;167652 said:
I think they steal other peoples videos (by putting their own name on them) and "suggest" they have facilities that don't exist so I would not trust a single statement that they make.

Ditto. I am not sure where they get there octos. Everytime I talked to the owner I got a differnet story. In the end he said that they came from a farm in Mexico and that was why he was able to sell them. Which is funny because when listing there other company for sale he stated that he had to stop doing business with other contries in order to receive the grant from the government that he was working on....Its a very iffy company at best.

Yes, exciting, will be more enjoyable once I feel comfortable it has properly adjusted. A little glimps would be comforting.
I feel like a kid on Christmas morinig having just opened the present I had been wishing for. :heee:

I really hesitated to make the thought known as the chances are so unlikely and if it turns out the photos simply caught a pose that was suggestive I didn't want you to be disappointed because I brought up the possibility. However, it does seem we are getting a mix this go round so we will have to wait and watch. If not vulgaris, he still may be a very interesting animal. Then the problem becomes to figure out what species it is. Monty's ID is driving me crazy :biggrin2:

I can't help myself, all through acclimation I was looking at it, searching for something that was O. vuigaris-like. I know it is wishful thinking. Of course, if it turns out to be O. briareus that's fine, we enjoyed Ollie. It's like solving a little mystery. Monty is such a fun octopus, I love your videos. He is so promising, just a little jealous. :sagrin:

I found it's den but unfortunately it is in the back. I saw little puffs of sand being blown. It must have been excavating. Little while later, I saw arms so I decided I'd try to feed. I defrosted a small chunk of scallop. I used the feeding stick. As soon as it entered the tank, he came completely out. He hesitated, touched it, then backed away empty handed. I will just keep trying. I feel fantastic now that I got a chance to see him. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back